Comet fuel tank

Tug Wilson

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Gentlemen, my fuel tank (base opened for dent repair) shows two panels welded in either side of identical length forming the outer skirt for approx 2/3rds length from front of tank.
Is this original construction or has it had an earlier repair?

ET43

Non-VOC Member
Hi Tug,
I have opened around twenty B & C tanks and have never seen such a construction. I cannot understand why both sides have the same panels, as all the ones I inspected were of a continuous pressing of top and sides, unless of course this was the tank that was flattened by tame Orang-utan a few years ago!!!
Cheers, ET43

Tug Wilson

Non-VOC Member
Thanks for info, it is a "C" tank. I have to say the welds are exceptionally neat and are not visible from the outside. Have you successfully welded tanks with no leaks or am I likely to need the additive to seal afterwards that seems to be a one off fix?

ET43

Non-VOC Member
Hi Tug,
My delving to Vin tanks was make them bigger, all this was when they were cheap! I tacked them up and got a local tig welder to do the rest. Because I did not know better, and before we had ethanol in the fuel, I used to line the tanks with grp flowcoat. Nowadays I use a product called Restom, which is ethanol proof. If you are to pressure test a Vin tank, please fit the tie bar and use no more than 3psi, because the thing will distort big time with any more in it.
Good Luck,
ET43

john998

VOC Member
That is very good advice from ET43. Many moons ago I tried to blow a dent out of a C tank using heat and compressed air.
At about 5 psi the two halves moved apart and the top wrinkled.
Some years later a friend scrounged it from me, and had a tame panel beater repair it like new. A remarkable feat.
John.

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
Hi ET43

Restom! Where do you get it? Can't find a UK supplier. Can it be used without ruining the tank's external finish?

All the best,

Hugo.

clevtrev

VOC Member
Hi ET43

Restom! Where do you get it? Can't find a UK supplier. Can it be used without ruining the tank's external finish?

All the best,

Hugo.

Restom is a product made by VOC member Dany Vincent, who also produces the French section magazine. To find out more simply google `Restom`.