F: Frame Comet Frame Tie

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have always made the F106's for the BAR gearbox. As a result, I used an American bolt and had to make the splined nut. I turned it up on the lathe and put a 1/2" x 13 tpi thread inside for my bolt. I made it to the dimension with no attention to interference, but I used a chisel to stamp a few splines in place. Pushed it in with some Loctite and none have ever failed. I did not line bore, but on the F106's I cast up I worked hard to get everything lined up.

I am not suggesting that this is the best way. It worked for me with good alignment, etc.,

David

Black Flash

VOC Member
Maybe you can remake this lipped nut with a course o. d. thread instead of the splines and tap a thread into f106.
then screw in the nut with 638 or 648 loctite. I would believe this will do the trick permanently.

Cheers Bernd

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
These are not splines, as Frank Griffin calls them serations, I make them with a knurling tool with straight teeth, same hole and sleeve/nut knerl it then fit with assistance of a strong vice.
The damaged one you are talking about, how much is the hole out of round? If not too bad make slightly larger O/D knurl it and force it in, I removed this one and fitted a S/S one because Eddy s/s Stevens did it too !.
bananaman.

IMG_1379.jpg

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Certainly Bill,

Straight knurler. use it to make battery clamp knobs and rear wheel adjusters and some where I also have a straight knurling wheel mounted the other way to use as a boring when I do bearing housings to make a bearing fit more tightly
Diamond knurler uses two oposite handed helical wheels but is a little chunkier as it has 6 wheels in pairs and it all revolves round on a central axel but that is down on the big lathe down the road in Harvey's big workshop.
Not that he uses it much but handy for me.
IMG_1387.jpg

oexing

VOC Member
I cannot see any benefit of the splines, they do not hold any pull from the bolt, just prevent a threaded insert from turning in its bore while doing up the bolt. You´d typically go for a helicoil but I guess the mangled bore is too large for that. So instead I´d fabricate a bush with threads inside and out after finding a tap for the oversize F106 bore. With that lipped nut all the force from bolt load goes into the small cross section at the lip/head. So no wonder you can snap it and pull the knurled part into the frame tie - not great.
An even easier way is to line ream the frame tie to get a nice parallel bore out of the mangled hole. Then you can do a decent measure of the bore and fabricate a nice threaded and lipped ss bush with the 1/2 " thread and loctite it into the frame tie with type 638 or 648. Still all load will go into the lip cross section but there will be a bit more material after reaming to oversize first. No need for knurling,the Loctite cares for locking the bush safely while tightening the bolt.

Vic

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Thanks for all your input. The bike in question is not mine, its not a matching numbers and it has been somewhat 'enhanced' 600cc kit,electric start and lots more so no need to fuss about keeping it original.

Based on comments received I propose to recommend to the owner that the elongated hole in the F106 be enlarged to a 'standard' size that is in alignment with the hole on the other side then make up a bush from aluminium or brass that is a light press fit (helped out with loctite) into F106 and has a bore that will accept a new shaft that will replace the gearbox upper bolt - this new shaft will be approx 3/4" longer than the original so when fitted it protrudes a sufficient distance out from the F106 to fit a washer and nut.

Other than purist cosmetics - are there any problems with this?

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I cannot see any benefit of the splines, they do not hold any pull from the bolt, just prevent a threaded insert from turning in its bore while doing up the bolt. You´d typically go for a helicoil but I guess the mangled bore is too large for that. So instead I´d fabricate a bush with threads inside and out after finding a tap for the oversize F106 bore. With that lipped nut all the force from bolt load goes into the small cross section at the lip/head. So no wonder you can snap it and pull the knurled part into the frame tie - not great.
An even easier way is to line ream the frame tie to get a nice parallel bore out of the mangled hole. Then you can do a decent measure of the bore and fabricate a nice threaded and lipped ss bush with the 1/2 " thread and loctite it into the frame tie with type 638 or 648. Still all load will go into the lip cross section but there will be a bit more material after reaming to oversize first. No need for knurling,the Loctite cares for locking the bush safely while tightening the bolt.

Vic
Vic , The bit that snapped on mine was the other end, Standard it is 1/2" stud with a nut brazed on the end, But the new one I bought was Stainless !, The stud was one type of stainless and the nut was another,
It had been on there for a long time and some sort of reaction had happened, I put photos of it on the Forum,
I was a mechanic all my working life, Not known for over tightening things, But I had put a spring washer under the head, And one day as I was about to go for a ride, I looked down and saw the nut part was on the piss,
Soon as I touched it, Off it came. Cheers Bill.