Comet folding footrests

Chris.R

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
For myself I have not welded for many years I used to have a oxy set for my trade plumbing but as the cylinders could only be hired gave that up when I retired ten years ago. I have never welded with mig and apart from doing lathe work when at school have not touched one since. Regards the Brought Ronnie who lives near me has a Brough 80 1936 rebuilt from the boxes of bits he bought some years ago today she looks better than when she came out the factory and wins him awards. That is Ken Phelps sitting on the floor alongside the Brough, his comment was the difference between a Brough and a Vincent is that Brough assembled his machines from parts and engines bought in Vincent developed their own but both are classics in their own right.

Attachments

• Brough 80_1936_P1000028.JPG
    Brough 80_1936_P1000028.JPG
    389.7 KB · Views: 30
  • Brough 80_1936_P1000029.JPG
    Brough 80_1936_P1000029.JPG
    419.5 KB · Views: 30

Chris Launders

VOC Member
For the Vincent folding footrests I turned the taper in a piece of bar then cut and reshaped the kickstart arm and welded it on, I could make a tapered section for Chris R if that would be any help.

timetraveller

VOC Member
For anyone who had not realised before, Chris Launders is a very talented man, who was very helpful with the testing and development of the new John Emmanuel steering heads and the modified spring and damper settings.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
For myself I have not welded for many years I used to have a oxy set for my trade plumbing but as the cylinders could only be hired gave that up when I retired ten years ago. I have never welded with mig and apart from doing lathe work when at school have not touched one since. Regards the Brought Ronnie who lives near me has a Brough 80 1936 rebuilt from the boxes of bits he bought some years ago today she looks better than when she came out the factory and wins him awards. That is Ken Phelps sitting on the floor alongside the Brough, his comment was the difference between a Brough and a Vincent is that Brough assembled his machines from parts and engines bought in Vincent developed their own but both are classics in their own right.
There is a lot of lnfo on YouTube on how to mig weld, l love to play and try not to throw any old metal or wood away.
Just tyring to make a prop stand for my d 500. Cheers Bill.

Chris.R

VOC Member
Hi Chris I will hold onto that for the moment and may come back to you for the offered help if my present plan comes to nothing.
Chris R

Chris.R

VOC Member
For the Vincent folding footrests I turned the taper in a piece of bar then cut and reshaped the kickstart arm and welded it on, I could make a tapered section for Chris R if that would be any help.
I believe I replied below just perhaps in the wrong place, Hi Chris if the present plan comes to nothing I will get back to you thanks for the offer. Chris R

b'knighted

VOC Member

Looking at this ebay offering it seems to have the same failing as Chris's left handed in that there is nothing to lock it to the footrest hanger. Putting your weight on a downward folding footrest could ruin your entire day.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Sorry but I cannot see where the footrest might fold inadvertently. Are you suggesting that you might put weight on it while it is in the upright position?