Comet folding footrests

Chris.R

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The arrangement on the left with the footbrake pedal a washer either side of the arm works well, what vintage would the Triumph foot rests be?

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Chris, I don't know what you are after, It looks a one off job to me.
But have a look on the Feked.com web site, You might be able to alter something.
Click on frame parts, Then at the bottom view more, Then on the left click Footrests.
Cheers Bill.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
I know this thread is about Comet folding footrests but some things also apply to twins. Due to the non stop rain I set about making the extended hangers for my twin, also I never liked the standard brake pedal arrangement so I've made a conventional (ish) brake pedal mounted on a boss on the RFM pivot bolt, the hangers themselves are old BSA/Triumph kickstarts with new foot pieces and the pedal is an old taper tube chair leg, it uses the standard cable. so is a straight swap over when finished, included are pictures showing the difference in position.

Attachments

• 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    507.7 KB · Views: 50
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    510.5 KB · Views: 50
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    408.9 KB · Views: 49
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    413.5 KB · Views: 50
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    392.4 KB · Views: 49

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
That's given me a few ideas for my rear sets on the "D" 560, To use the cable stop on what was the front footrest bolt, to save making a big alloy plate like a L/ning, Not sure ?.
I think your rear brake will be a bit more powerful !!. Cheers Bill.

vibrac

VOC Member
The arrangement on the left with the footbrake pedal a washer either side of the arm works well, what vintage would the Triumph foot rests be?
I have a 52 and a 58 Trophy so that's my best bet but of course they could have come off another of the wonders I have owned in decades

Chris.R

VOC Member
Hi I am looking at a fairly ancient pair found on ebay that came from a distant Triumph model one of which might do for the RH side otherwise will for the moment stick with the fixed hanger. As Bill suggests it is likely that what I have on the left was a one off and will probably never find which machine it came off, that one goes back as it works well.

Chris

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Chris, Can you weld or know anybody that does, I love making things out of other things.
I have my old welder working better than ever, They are very cheap now.
Cheers Bill.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Yes Bill, I have an ancient arc welder, TIG and oxy/acetylene, a couple of WW2 lathes and an ancient vertical miller, I make as much as I can, I've previously built an entire Brough SS100 from scratch and have almost finished an 1150 replica for a friend.
This is the SS100, a friend machined the heads as they were beyond me but I pretty much made all the rest other than the engine and gearbox castings and internals, all the frame lugs other than the steering head are fabrications.

Attachments

• Bikes_2_009.jpg
    Bikes_2_009.jpg
    530.8 KB · Views: 23

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Yes Bill, I have an ancient arc welder, TIG and oxy/acetylene, a couple of WW2 lathes and an ancient vertical miller, I make as much as I can, I've previously built an entire Brough SS100 from scratch and have almost finished an 1150 replica for a friend.
This is the SS100, a friend machined the heads as they were beyond me but I pretty much made all the rest other than the engine and gearbox castings and internals, all the frame lugs other than the steering head are fabrications.
You are too good for me, Chris.
I was thinking of more simple stuff
I think it would be easy to hand grind a taper for the other Chris.
It's just a foot rest.
Cheers bill