• Welcome to the website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Hon. Editor and Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this website.

If you have previously registered to use this forum, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

If you have never registered to use this website before, please CLICK HERE.

Comet folding footrests

Vic Youel

Well Known and Active Website User
Non-VOC Member
I want to put a pair of folding footrests on my Comet similar to those used on the Rapide. Could someone advise a source please?

Thanks

Vic

peter.C

Active Website User
Non-VOC Member
Folding Footrests

HI Vic

I have used a left hand comet footrest hanger on the right side and then fitted a folding foot rest. These are available in most spares catalogues. This became necessary on my Viscount to keep clear of the kickstarter. I expect this could be done on left side with a little work. The spacers
F51 might need changing for different lengths.

Peter.C

nkt267

VOC Member
Hope and pray that Mac Reid goes mad and makes a new batch.He had them cast in stainless and are absolutely BEEOOTIFUL.I was lucky to get a set..John

I have just added photo's to annoy you all..Motorcycles-Misc 2008-Modifications...or just go photos last 7 days..

Last edited:

Vic Youel

Non-VOC Member
Folding comet footrests

I had a chat with Mac Read and he now has a waiting list of three...... I hope he does get around to making another batch. Four different members have recommended him for which I thank you.

Vic

John Smith-Daye

VOC Member
Make that five recommendations!

Macs folders are really good - hope he does do some more so that others can benefit from his expertise.

timetraveller

VOC Member
I saw a Godet Egli at Liphook last Sunday, a twin, which had footrest hangers which I guess are something like what you are looking for. Very nice items. I have no idea whether Patrick would sell them seperately but it might be worth trying to see some first to decide whether they would do the job. :)

b'knighted

VOC Member
Mac Reid - Mac Read

My Knight carries some examples of Mac's brilliant work, from when he lived in Longfield. I lost touch when he moved East and I moved West. How do I get on his waiting list for a pair of folding Comet footrest hangers?

If you're reading this Mac, please get in touch as I need a fresh copy of the brake plate drawing which your dog chewed, and everyone I have approached denies all knowledge.

Cheers, Ian

sidmadrid

VOC Member
I mended my broken right hand comet footrest hangar by welding a pillion footrest (FT93 & F72) onto the broken bit and dressing it off. Looks ok to me.
Haven't broken the l/h foot peg yet, but if I did I would do somethin similar.
Probably not sound ecconomics if you are buying new pillion hangars as donors, I just had a few spares lying about.

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
All Comet owners have permanent shin bruises from Comet footrests. Put me on the list if anyone is making folding Comet footrests. Page 24 of FTO has an article on how to convert Comet footrests to the folding type, unfortunately beyond my abilities. This month's Classic Motorcyle, oddly June 2008, features a replica Grey Flash with just such a conversion.

Chris.R

VOC Member
I do not have FTO can anyone send me a copy of page please FTO is out of print.

MSVH Y3

VOC Member
Mike Breeding makes folding foot rests for Comets. See his ad in MPH.

MSVH Y3

VOC Member
View attachment 27463 Here are the Breeding footrests on my Comet. They work very well but I had to make up a longer FT103 to get the brake pedal where I could get my foot on it.27464Pictures from Samsung Phone  ONE 136.jpgDSC05438.JPGDSC05433.JPGDSC05808.JPG

Chris.R

VOC Member
Hi I need another of these for the timing cover side, I have a spare left hand arm I just need the peg to pop thorough the hole in the bottom where do I find another of these any ideas. I have no idea if this one was bought as is or was bought and then adapted. Chris _DSC0811.JPG

Chris Launders

VOC Member
I want to make some longer footrest hangers for my twin and looking round for ideas suddenly realised the top of Triumph/BSA kickstarts are similar to twin hanger bottoms (as regards how the foot parts pivot, the foot piece will even pivot the other way if turned over), so I've managed to scrounge a pair up which I will get de-chromed and start butchering, basically a little reshaping and a tapered bore section will do the K/S side with lugs welded on for the brake side.

vibrac

VOC Member
All I did was get another LH footrest and mount it on the rh side then a pair of meriden triumph pilion foot tests were modified to bolt into the bottom holes the LH one was further modified to take the rear brake pivot.
all very 50's but they work

vibrac

VOC Member
I think someone pinched my idea see other footrest thread

Marcus Bowden

VOC Member
Longer hangers for a twin can be easily overcome by using the 2" footrest cranks LH & RH the F72 is the neares number I can get to it. I have one on my LH kick start crank for more leverage and to clear brake cable.
bananaman.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
I can't see them listed, ridiculous price even for standard ones anyway. I've made a pair of them already but don't like how they look and my version interferes with the brake pedal mechanism as well when folded so I'll just make new hangers.

Chris.R

VOC Member
This LH side replacement and adaption was fitted to my 1954 Comet in the period she was on the road prior to being put in a museum in 1991. If I can find similar I will complete the job and fit same to RH side.

Where is your other thread?

Chris