Comet engine price

Howard

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I'm negotiating for a Comet engine. No carb, mag, dynamo, primary drive, just a bare engine. Anyone have any idea what it's worth?

H

Black Flash

VOC Member
I think it actually depends on the condition of the engine, wether it is good running or in the need of a total rebuilt. I would guess an engine for rebuilt, but complete without damage to the cases and a good timing side could sell for anything between 600 to 1200 GBP ( or more on ebay).
do not underestimate the costs when the engine needs a total rebuilt, Valves, guides, springs, rocker bearings, feedbolts, timing gear camshaft, bigend, barrel, oversize sleeve, exhaust thread repair etc. etc , all those parts and services do sum up!!

I doubt my post will be a great help for you, sorry

Bernd

davidd

VOC Member
Howard,

I think Bernd is in the ball park. The last one I saw sell went for $1000. That was a year ago. It was a private sale, head, barrel, cases, flywheel and timing cover.

David

ET43

Non-VOC Member
From a complete set of five crank case castings, the engine of my tricycle, if and when I get an electric starter, will have cost me £8,500 and that is without including the cost of the cases in the first place. Consider yourself lucky if you can pick up anything approaching the prices mentioned in previous posts.
Cheers, ET43

youngjohn

Non-VOC Member
If the engine is all together and in reasonable condition, I would guess it should fetch somewhere in the region of a couple of grand. Cylinder heads consistently go for £500 or more, so you would be doing very well to get the rest of the engine for an additional £100. Even Comet timing covers seem to be making well over £200.
I think it's just a fact of life that (with the exception of an odd lucky find) cheap Vincent bits are a thing of the past. If parts make high prices on ebay and someone is prepared to pay for them, then that is what they are worth.

Howard

VOC Member
Thanks for those.

I think I'm on the right lines, lets see if I can get the current owner to agree with me.

Hopefully, we'll have another Vincent (engined special) back on the road, instead of under a bench.

H

Black Flash

VOC Member
If I read the opinion of youngjohn, I think I was probably wrong, they do go for big money these times.
It is just that I always refused to pay silly prices and I always found what I needed at a fair price, even it took me years. That is apart from the last set of forks I bought,they were expensive but fully and beautifully rebuilt, simply fit and forget.
An engine that I have not heard and seen running is always a can of beans, so I would be careful if there is big money involved. we all know stories of beautiful looking "expert" ( you know this guy you have never heard of, but he has been an Vincent expert for years sort of thing) rebuilt engines that have blown up after a few hundred miles