E: Engine Comet Engine Assembly

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
You should be able to tighten the screw securing the gear to the shaft on the Alton, then check the gear back and fourth to see if any backlash exists........this is what you want.......even though the gear is black plastic it still needs to have some clearance.........The last one I mentioned earlier, the screw holding the gear to the shaft had come loose and fallen to the bottom of the timing chest, luckily it did no harm, but the bearings in the Alton were shot.

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
I was not happy with the original steel E212 fit.
Replacement in alloy sounded like an upgrade for thermal expansion.
View attachment 45989

Installed 18x35x7 seal for Alton shaft spacer. Installed Alton from outside to visually center in new seal. Using the spacer simply positioned (not installed) from inside to visually check seal lip sealing OD against spacer OD, I satisfied the centering of the Alton.
View attachment 45990

Went to fit Alton gear and could not get it to fit.
Loosened ET51AS Idler gear shaft and moved.
I am not happy with the big gear/cam fit at this time, but the Alton gear fits fine.
re the seal on the Alton shaft. The spring side MUST face into the timing case - from the photo it looks like its the other way around

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I think Craig has fitted the seal correctly, I am sure I can just about see a glint of light reflecting off the spring.

Last edited by a moderator:

craig

VOC Member
Making some progress and paying attention to all concerns.
Yes seal is correct direction, I beveled the Alton spacer to allow best seal entry.
Alton is tightened down, it has gear clearance.

The main issue with this starter primary is oil coming out of the clutch/gearbox hole.

20211209_PrimaryFit1.jpg

20211209_PrimaryFit2.jpg

Last edited:

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Fix for that issue described in OVR #37. Of course its also a help if you to fit an oil seal to the mainshaft to prevent oil migrating from the motor into the primary case.

Attachments

• comet primary case oil sling.pdf
    322.8 KB · Views: 36
  • Installing a Primary Drive Oil Seal in a Comet.pdf
    377.7 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

greg brillus

VOC Member
I just bond a washer made of thin cork to the inner face of the inner clutch washer, so it just kisses the alloy housing in the new primary cover........being careful to allow for the end float in the gearbox input shaft.

craig

VOC Member
Up on four legs, progress today. Gearbox in place, working on clutch oil slinger .

20211211_Progress.jpg

20211211_C;lutchSlinger.jpg

Is blocking the wrist pin with wood blocks a suitable method of torqueing the drive side?
Or is there a better method?
20211211_DriveSideTorque.jpg

Last edited: