Comet Electrics

BigEd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Ed, I got mine from ebay for about £10. It pushes into about a 10 mm hole and changes from red to amber to green depending on the charge voltage, it can also be set to be used as a battery condition indicator. It's very reassuring to glance at a little green light, instead of trying to judge if the ammeter needle is showing a charge more often than discharge.
H
Good that you can fit something ready made and not have to get the soldering kit out. The LED on my setup serves a dual purpose. I have one of Norman's Walkernator charging systems with a switch to turn on charging mode. The LED comes on with the switch and the light helps to remind me to switch the alternator off when I stop the engine. Forgetting to switch off the feed to the rotor gradually runs the battery down which makes you glad you have a magneto next time you come to start the engine.;)

timetraveller

VOC Member
And if you do run the battery down please do not switch the lights on too soon. Two local Comet owners found this our the hard way. One had ridden about eight miles before he remembered to switch on the charging circuit and when he did all the lights failed. Of course he did not put two and two together and got me looking through all the various components. The second one started his bike and let it tick over for several minutes while he put his riding gear on. On returning to the bike he switched on the lights, rode off and then switched on the charging circuit, and 'nothing!. Once again all the bulbs had blown. The alternator is capable of putting out enough power that if the battery is well discharged then 'bang'. There goes the bulbs. If you do let the battery go flat then let the engine tick over for a minute or two and you will see the ammeter drop from a charge of 8 - 10 amps back to 2 - 3 amps and at that stage all is safe again.

coomo

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
And if you do run the battery down please do not switch the lights on too soon. Two local Comet owners found this our the hard way. One had ridden about eight miles before he remembered to switch on the charging circuit and when he did all the lights failed. Of course he did not put two and two together and got me looking through all the various components. The second one started his bike and let it tick over for several minutes while he put his riding gear on. On returning to the bike he switched on the lights, rode off and then switched on the charging circuit, and 'nothing!. Once again all the bulbs had blown. The alternator is capable of putting out enough power that if the battery is well discharged then 'bang'. There goes the bulbs. If you do let the battery go flat then let the engine tick over for a minute or two and you will see the ammeter drop from a charge of 8 - 10 amps back to 2 - 3 amps and at that stage all is safe again.
Thanks for the input guys.I think this is going to be out of my league.Im terrible with Electrics! Is there anyone who can make up a loom, and do this work within 100 miles of Essex? Not got a ton of money, so please bear in mind!

stumpy lord

Non-VOC Member
Thanks for the input guys.I think this is going to be out of my league.Im terrible with Electrics! Is there anyone who can make up a loom, and do this work within 100 miles of Essex? Not got a ton of money, so please bear in mind!

Try Ferret who resides in Reigate. phone number07765 832420

stumpy lord

Len Matthews

VOC Member
Coomo, you have been given lots elaborate advive about wiring your Comet/Norton but you are looking at a basic set-up? Lights, Brake Light and Horn. A 12v conversion is easy.
I'm in Essex, give me a ring on 01255 427663. I may be able to help.

coomo

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Coomo, you have been given lots elaborate advive about wiring your Comet/Norton but you are looking at a basic set-up? Lights, Brake Light and Horn. A 12v conversion is easy.
I'm in Essex, give me a ring on 01255 427663. I may be able to help.
Thanks Len.However, ive already secured the services of said "Ferret!"