Comet Electrics

Russell Icke

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hooked a new 6 volt battery up to the comet but no idea which wire goes to positive or negative. Hook it up one way and lights work with ammeter needle sitting high then when I switch switch connections lights still work and ammeter sits just below Half way which seems more normal. Any ideas?

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
You will soon find out when you start the motor.

If its connected according to the factory wire diagram it will be positive earth so the positive terminal is connected to the frame.

NO NO I made a mistake - It is the NEGATIVE terminal that's the earth and connected to the frame.

Get it wrong and the battery will quickly overheat then die in a spectacular manner when you start the motor.

I suggest you find a chum with a multimeter and make sure BEFORE you start the motor.

Last edited:

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Positive earth? Are you sure? My Vins are all Negative earth, always thought Neg earth was factory.

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
You are correct - my mistake. Sorry. Original wiring diagram attached. I have corrected my earlier post

Attachments

• wire diagram ORIGINAL 001.pdf
    42 KB · Views: 53

Albervin

VOC Member
In the 1950s one had to be very careful playing with electrickery. My old 1953 car was +ve earth. I am guessing there was a steady supply of Lucas smoke then.

oexing

VOC Member
Our 1964 3.8 E-Type is still positive earth, 12 V dc dynamo, like it ever was. So not easy with a modern radio and its negative earth case. Had some smoke when I connected the earthed aerial for a moment. So no earth for the aerial and its radio then -and no great working radio in consequence with a lot of electrical noise. But then, this car is very noisy inside anyway and in times we just have the music cassette playing our own collection whenever we feel so.

Vic

P1010796.JPG

P1010772.JPG

mercurycrest

VOC Member
Actually, only the prototype Vincents were Negative Ground. The final product, Series D Vincents, were Positive Ground! :cool:

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
SO "A's" "B's" & "C's were prototypes were they, I can understand the "A's" were as they are such a fascination of an abortion and totally different to work on, engine-wise as the parts of the cycle are all virtually the same.
bananaman.