• Welcome to the website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Hon. Editor and Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this website.

If you have previously registered to use this forum, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

If you have never registered to use this website before, please CLICK HERE.

Misc: Everything Else Comet Electric Start

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Website User
VOC Member
I think that what ever happens, time is important. Me for instance, my riding days are limited as I'm 80 now and I don't know how many years riding I have left.
Regards,
Dave
On my Comet, I have no valve lifter, As long as yours is a first kick Starter, What I do is put it in first gear, Roll it back on compression, Put it In to neutral, And it is an easy Kick, And mine has 9 to 1 Piston and Mk2 Cams, I think it will be a long time before an Electric start is ready to buy, They have been talking about it for ages. Good Luck, Bill.

David Townsend

Website User
VOC Member
On my Comet, I have no valve lifter, As long as yours is a first kick Starter, What I do is put it in first gear, Roll it back on compression, Put it In to neutral, And it is an easy Kick, And mine has 9 to 1 Piston and Mk2 Cams, I think it will be a long time before an Electric start is ready to buy, They have been talking about it for ages. Good Luck, Bill.
I'm told the Spares company are going to sell one which should be interesting.
Regards,
Dave

Chris Launders

Well Known and Active Website User
VOC Member
It seems to me that a Comet electric start is always going to be an expensive and complex item, most of the components for the drive system can be sourced from existing bikes or commercially but it is the mounting hardware that is going to be the problem, I can't see how it can be done easily without something like a new inner chaincase which would require casting and machining. I don't have a Comet so cannot really help with investigation. Would it be possible to start one with a drive via the dynamo pinion ? could a piggy back starter/dynamo be designed ?

David Townsend

Website User
VOC Member
It seems to me that a Comet electric start is always going to be an expensive and complex item, most of the components for the drive system can be sourced from existing bikes or commercially but it is the mounting hardware that is going to be the problem, I can't see how it can be done easily without something like a new inner chaincase which would require casting and machining. I don't have a Comet so cannot really help with investigation. Would it be possible to start one with a drive via the dynamo pinion ? could a piggy back starter/dynamo be designed ?
Thanks for your input. I'm told the club is going to sell one so that might be the thing to look at.
Regards,
Dave