Comet Electric Start Now Back In Stock

Monkeypants

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
The 18ah Shorai has approximately 6 ah of power available at full charge. This would be at 14.4 volts. If your resting voltage is less than 14.4 then the capacity is reduced from 6 ah.

The same is true for other brands of Li batteries. Multiply the battery PbEq advertised AH by 1/3 to get actual AH at 14.4 volts.
The PbEq is a measure of the battery's ability to flow current on a very short term test.
Small Li batteries will briefly flow current like a big lead acid battery. That means they tend to work well for starting, provided the bike is a reasonably quick starter.
I see Podtronics is now selling a regulator for Li batteries. It works at a higher voltage range than the regular Podtronics, which is set for lead acid battery charging.

Glen

Last edited:

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
a bit of feed back on my comet with a new 12Ah penny pinching battery
The bike is all new so I forgot it likes a good flood so the starter had a good old whine till I remembered:mad: then after flooding it started :)As I set out it the ammeter displayed a 4 Amp charge but after 3 miles or so it was back to zero (magneto & Alton) so you can get away with a smaller than recommended battery but keep the kickstart.
(I am saving up my pennies for a Lithium)