Comet Electric Start Now Back In Stock

The VOC Spares Company Limited

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The last six units from this batch are now available for delivery.
Not sure when the next batch will be manufactured so get in quick.
Alton Generators also available to keep your battery topped up.

Comet1.jpg

Comet4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

vibrac

VOC Member
The recommendation is a 18AH battery I have been using a 12Ah because I had a new one and it would fit without modification and it happily starts it. but now I have used it a bit I can tell by my ammeter it needs time to recover as I ride away. I think in a error situation it would run out of puff (its a magneto bike). Ian Savages answer of a lithium inside the hollowed out case is the best if expensive answer.
The CCA of lithium has to be experienced to believe. Ben had an Egli in with a silly CR big carbs and open pipes. A car battery would not start it but a lithium did, I think he fitted two in the end, they are small enough and weigh nothing and hold their charge for ever.

Last edited:

greg brillus

VOC Member
I believe they don't put out the grunt for long though..........Also don't they need a higher charge rate so the output from an Alton with the stock regulator is probably not high enough. That is the Alton is fine but a different regulator giving a higher output is needed.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I believe they don't put out the grunt for long though..........Also don't they need a higher charge rate so the output from an Alton with the stock regulator is probably not high enough. That is the Alton is fine but a different regulator giving a higher output is needed.
Not found that myself. Re: charge rate, a bigger capacity takes longer to fill for a given input. If you want to charge faster you need a bigger input whatever the battery type. In the Coventry section we have some people running electric start machines from Lithium batteries charged by dynamos converted to 12 Volts. They work fine but if you drain a battery you would not expect it to be recharged by the end of the road.

John Reynolds

VOC Member
Could we have more info on the types of lithium batteries that are giving good service, i.e. manufacturer and model number of battery. please? Especially the ones that can fit inside a dummy battery box of standard dimensions and have the CCA to start a Comet. I have bought a Alton starter kit for my Comet which I am currently building up and would welcome advice re suitable lithium batteries. Many thanks!

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Could we have more info on the types of lithium batteries that are giving good service, i.e. manufacturer and model number of the battery. please? Especially the ones that can fit inside a dummy battery box of standard dimensions and have the CCA to start a Comet. I have bought an Alton starter kit for my Comet which I am currently building up and would welcome advice re suitable lithium batteries. Many thanks!
Take a look at my post at this link: Lithium Battery in Dummy Case
This is the largest one that I could just fit in a dummy Exide case. Some people are successfully using a slightly smaller size on twins. A Comet would almost certainly be less of a load than a twin. The downside is that these batteries are relatively expensive. I used a Shorei. There are other makes but I haven't tried them so can't comment.

vibrac

VOC Member
The recommended battery for the comet is a YTX20L-BS that's got a CCA of 270 and is a 18AH its also a wacking 6 7⁄8 in. x 3 7⁄16 in. x 6 1⁄8 in. another reason why I stayed with a new 12Ah I had on the shelf
so either of the lower two lithium batteries in the table on the link will do the same job in a case
Its just financial inertia on my part paying nearly twice as much fro a battery than I paid for my first twin comes hard :cool:
I just looked up the Twin starter on my sheets its reccomended battery is YTX 14 HBS which seems to have morphed into YTX 14A HBS which is 200 CCA ......its a complex world.

John Reynolds

VOC Member
Big Ed; many thanks for the link. I was aware of the Shorai. However, other brands of Lithium battery have been alluded to in recent posts and I would be interested in hearing other members experiences with these. The Shorai batteries do not appear to have a BMS (battery management system) to prevent them being overcharged or over-discharged, both scenarios being dangerous to Lithium batteries. The Shorai also appears to have a cell balancing socket which indicates that charging via the main terminals needs to be accompanied by connection to a balancing circuit. More recent entries to the motorcycle market (and most lithium batteries incorporated in consumer rechargeable products) have these systems incorporated in the battery casing as standard. It is also possible to provide such systems externally. Have any members explored these or other options?

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Big Ed; many thanks for the link. I was aware of the Shorai. However, other brands of Lithium battery have been alluded to in recent posts and I would be interested in hearing other members experiences with these. The Shorai batteries do not appear to have a BMS (battery management system) to prevent them being overcharged or over-discharged, both scenarios being dangerous to Lithium batteries. The Shorai also appears to have a cell balancing socket which indicates that charging via the main terminals needs to be accompanied by connection to a balancing circuit. More recent entries to the motorcycle market (and most lithium batteries incorporated in consumer rechargeable products) have these systems incorporated in the battery casing as standard. It is also possible to provide such systems externally. Have any members explored these or other options?
Dear John,
I don't know which batteries if any, have any of the things you mention. If I want to charge it in the garage I have a charger suitable for lithium batteries and I can leave that leave I can leave connected on a maintenance charge if I am not using the Rapide for a while. Having said that these batteries do seem to hold there charge well. In normal use, after starting the ammeter goes right over to max + and quickly falls back to a show a small charge as I do have one of Timetraveller's alternator kits capable I think, of 360W output.

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
info on Shorai here. I have had one in my bike for almost 10 years. Charged by an Alton. And its still going strong.