E: Engine Comet elect coil ignition make and timing?

tom wilson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi I have a newly acquired Comet that is fitted with this mix of coil ignition/ electronic bits, any idea who's make it is and how to set the ignition timing? as it runs fine but kicks back on starting,

IMG_5578.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5577.JPG
    IMG_5577.JPG
    268.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_5580.JPG
    IMG_5580.JPG
    196.8 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_5583.JPG
    IMG_5583.JPG
    311.2 KB · Views: 37

vibrac

VOC Member
looks like a thorspark or similar pickup using a mag body as a platform I have heard good and bad things about that system. whatever using 38deg BTDC fully advanced as per many books, is inappropriate nowadays, look more towards 34 deg. Also it's probably a good idea to look at your ATD (assuming you have one:eek:) pop a few search phrases in the search box above and you could be reading till the new year.

tom wilson

VOC Member
Hi Vibrac thanks for the
looks like a thorspark or similar pickup using a mag body as a platform I have heard good and bad things about that system. whatever using 38deg BTDC fully advanced as per many books, is inappropriate nowadays, look more towards 34 deg. Also it's probably a good idea to look at your ATD (assuming you have one:eek:) pop a few search phrases in the search box above and you could be reading till the new year.
Hi Vibrac thanks for the info, I am really looking to find where to find the spark set point (generated) is on the electronic bit (what bits need to be lined up)? I can see several black paint/marker lines have been put on there by someone, cheers

tom wilson

VOC Member
i think you must use a strobe light but I have never tried it perhaps someone else on here has
Hi again Vibrac it looks like you were correct it is a Thorspark system, I have been on their site, also looked at a few comments, it does seem that it has to be timed with a strobe light. I shall have a play in the next day or so, I think static timing is a little easier with a Comet but strobe can be a lot more accurate. thanks again

tom wilson

VOC Member
@clevtrev sometimes has a timing disc and spindle available that oils the crank like the feed quill does. I don’t see it on the SparesCo website.
Hi Trev I have a timing disc that I use for static timing, but would not be any good with the engine running. The one you suggest would be brilliant if only I could find one. many thanks

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I have used a car strobe , " Snap on ",
Directly pointing on the points,
If you use very fine / Narrow, Marks, Gives you an idea of what is going on .

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Would this work ? Time the engine with a disc, take a good picture of the ignition unit in this position.
Then run the engine with a strobe and compare that with the picture.
If the timing is right they should match at fully advanced.

Have I just invented a way to check any electronic ignition ???