Comet Dynamo shaft Seal

redbloke1956

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi All, The Comet I purchased unfortunately came without a dynamo armature fitted (just an empty dynamo frame), it does have a seal fitted where the armature would have protruded into the timing chest.
The previous owner promised an armature but none forthcoming.... the problem I have is:
(a) because I don't have an armature I cannot be sure the seal is the correct one
(b) I have now puchased an Alton alternator that has a sleeve on the rotor (I assume to bring the rotor shaft up to the size of the seal) but the outside diameter of the sleeve is too small to suit the seal?
(c) I noticed that E224 Dynamo Boss Seal is not listed by either VOC spares or Vintech.

Can anyone tell me if the original seal should fit the Alton, If so, from where may I purchase these seals.
If a different seal is required, does anyone have a Part No and supplier please.

Regards from a head scratching
Kevin Dennis

clevtrev

VOC Member
Hi All, The Comet I purchased unfortunately came without a dynamo armature fitted (just an empty dynamo frame), it does have a seal fitted where the armature would have protruded into the timing chest.
The previous owner promised an armature but none forthcoming.... the problem I have is:
(a) because I don't have an armature I cannot be sure the seal is the correct one
(b) I have now puchased an Alton alternator that has a sleeve on the rotor (I assume to bring the rotor shaft up to the size of the seal) but the outside diameter of the sleeve is too small to suit the seal?
(c) I noticed that E224 Dynamo Boss Seal is not listed by either VOC spares or Vintech.

Can anyone tell me if the original seal should fit the Alton, If so, from where may I purchase these seals.
If a different seal is required, does anyone have a Part No and supplier please.

Regards from a head scratching
Kevin Dennis
Measure the shaft, measure the hole, then go to your local supply shop, tell him you want a seal for these dimensions.

Just realised we`re not thinking straight, the seal runs on the gear, not the shaft.

Last edited:

A_HRD

VOC Member
Kevin,

FWIW, if you put E224 into the search box on the VOCSC website, you will find the std seal OK. And just below it is a photo of the 'Alton Generator Drive Kit for Comets' which they also provide at reasonable cost.

If you want to buy a std seal locally, the original was 0.875 x 1.375 x 0.250. But many people prefer to buy a close metric equivalent 22mm x 35mm x 6mm. It has the advantage of being slightly tighter on the ID - and also it's just about slim enough to fit 2 in at once for a 'belt and braces' approach to oil sealing.

Never having fitted an Alton , I'm not sure what you do about a seal - except use ClevTrev's advice above.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Peter B,
Bristol. UK.

nkt267

VOC Member
When I fitted my Alton to the Comet the instructions was to seal the Alton to the crankcase with silicon sealant and not bother with the standard seal..I've not had any leaks from there.. But Torrie Canyon lives on..John

Black Flash

VOC Member
I have just fitted an Alton to my Comet yesterday. you only seal the body against the back of the timing side. the new Alton comes with a Nylon gear and I would not like the idea of using a seal on the flange of that gear. I am afraid that the heat buildup with friction could destroy the gear altogether.
I resisted the use of silicon and used blue Hylomar. the bike has to be started yet ( hopefully very soon).

cheers
Bernd

redbloke1956

Non-VOC Member
I have just fitted an Alton to my Comet yesterday. you only seal the body against the back of the timing side. the new Alton comes with a Nylon gear and I would not like the idea of using a seal on the flange of that gear. I am afraid that the heat buildup with friction could destroy the gear altogether.
I resisted the use of silicon and used blue Hylomar. the bike has to be started yet ( hopefully very soon).

cheers
Bernd

Thank you Bernd, I am in the same boat as you...I have yet to start my Comet !! I checked the existing seal (which turns out to be the correct Comet seal E224) against the Nylon Gear and it will not fit anyway.
Did you use the sleeve that came with the Alton (slides over the Armature shaft) I haven't checked fitment of the gear yet so maybe it is used as a spacer for the gear to butt up against?
My preference is for blue Hylomar also, while in the Australian Air Force we used Blue Hylomar on aircraft and it was called Rolls Royce Jointing Compound, Good enough for Rolls Royce jet engines then good enough for the Rolls Royce of motorcycles.

Thanks again.
Regards
Kevin Dennis

redbloke1956

Non-VOC Member
Measure the shaft, measure the hole, then go to your local supply shop, tell him you want a seal for these dimensions.

Just realised we`re not thinking straight, the seal runs on the gear, not the shaft.

Hi Trev, unfortunately I have found in most cases that the mullets in our supply shops will ask "whats it off mate" then attempt to look it up in a catalogue...if your vehicle isn't in the catalogue (vincent) then they can't match it.
I have checked the seal (which going by the sizes supplied by A_HRD. Peter B in this thread is an E224) and it can't fit the Gear supplied by Alton.

Regards
Kevin

Black Flash

VOC Member
Hi Kevin,
my Alton just has a flat face, with a recessed bearing and the parallel shaft sticking out. I put the Hylomar around the outside of the recess about 6 mm wide and 2 mm thick. After checking the gear engagement ( with very little backslash, you know that fagpaper trick do you?) and pressing the ALTON against the back of the timeng chest hard, I bolted the Alton down. removed the gear again, the Hylomar that squeezed out was nicely smeared around with the little finger and the gear fitted again.
I am really convinced that will do the trick. I also machined the breather sleeve to a 10 mm opening and just welded up a nice elbow with 10 mm ID to replace the Banjo /metal breather outlet pipe. I am going to fit a 1/2 Id black hose going up underneath the oiltank and then down again to the gearbox sprocket.
I believe with a good times breather there will be no leaks.