Comet differences

lvhrd

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Could someone educate me as to some of the major differences in the latter year Comets? Did the changes in the Comets tend to mirror those of the Rapides of the same year?

thanks,
Chris

Hugo Myatt

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
If we are talking Series C Comets I can only think of one change during the whole production run and it was hardly major. Later Comets had a drain plug fitted to the Burman gearbox. It was a fairly pointless modification as it was not at the lowest position and anyway the gearbox was full of grease.

nkt267

VOC Member
I think that this was supposed to be a level plug.Certainly when I fill mine with the required amount of oil is trickles out..John

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
John,
This never occurred to me and ,of course, it makes sense. Mind you whenever I have filled mine with oil there seem to be an abundance of places for it to trickle out.
Hugo.

Len Matthews

VOC Member
Another small chage was the redesigned Head Lug & Cylinder Head Bracket(applicable to twins & singles). According to some catalogue illustrations, early singles had a different rear brake pedal set-as per Series A- but whether any were built that way I don't know. Every Comet I've seen has a cable operated rear brake. Another revision was a change to the fuel feed to the float chamber which originally had two seperate pipes with a double union arrangement later replaced by a much simpler double banjo.
The gearbox drain plug was introduced to allow oil lubrication rather than grease. Can't think of anything else......

nkt267

VOC Member
I have virtually stopped the gearbox leaking by using Morris 140 grade straight gear oil.Cut it off in strips to get it in during the winter..It certainly lubricates the whole box.John

lvhrd

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Thanks for the information. At some point in the next year or two I plan on looking for a Comet, some sort of project bike, and want to know what I'm looking for when I do.

alscomet

VOC Member
looking for a comet

you mentioned you were looking for a project comet, send me your telephone number i will pass it on to the owner who has one for sale. alan