Comet Decompressor Leak

Martyn Goodwin

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
As PIE has been oft quoted "oil is devilish stuff".

Well it seems that I may have a leak where the decompressor cable and its associated hardware enters the crankcase on my Comet. Stevens in KTB in talking about the Exhaust Lifter (500cc) makes mention of sealing washers on the spindle. Likewise Richardson, when refering to the Exhaust Lifters observes that two rubber washers slipped over the cable abutment prevent oil leaks.

Well - I have look closely at my bike and there are no rubbers to be seen - likewise I have been unable to find reference to them in the Spare Parts List.

Does anyone know what the part number(s) are for these rubbers?

How have Comet owners in the past cured leaks from this area?

Thanks

Martyn

redbloke1956

Non-VOC Member
As PIE has been oft quoted "oil is devilish stuff".

Well it seems that I may have a leak where the decompressor cable and its associated hardware enters the crankcase on my Comet. Stevens in KTB in talking about the Exhaust Lifter (500cc) makes mention of sealing washers on the spindle. Likewise Richardson, when refering to the Exhaust Lifters observes that two rubber washers slipped over the cable abutment prevent oil leaks.

Well - I have look closely at my bike and there are no rubbers to be seen - likewise I have been unable to find reference to them in the Spare Parts List.

Does anyone know what the part number(s) are for these rubbers?

How have Comet owners in the past cured leaks from this area?

Thanks

Martyn

Hi Martyn, I believe Russ Kemp sells a kit to cure this problem.

Kevin

timetraveller

VOC Member
Or, if you have simple machining facilities, modify the parts yourself for just about zero cost. Read a description of what is needed from me several months ago on this Forum.

nkt267

VOC Member
Hi Martyn, I believe Russ Kemp sells a kit to cure this problem.
I think the kit you refer to is only for twins,I bought one and it does not fit.
I'll find the number for the seals later..John

ET187 2 off listed in the timing gear @ voc spares and not in the location you would think on MO13,centre of the page behind the large idler..John

Last edited:

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
Indeed there are two rubber sealing rings on both single and twin . On the Comet drawing the rubbers are seen but not marked with part nos. Absolutely necessary to seal against oil escaping . Sid .