comet clutch

redbloke1956

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Does anyone have a photo of Comet clutch, my clutch plates look very different to those shown on the Spares List also the basket is different.
The rollers are also of a different size 0.24566" or 6.24mm (not to mention that the mainshaft has a different diameter bore size...mentioned in another post)
I am starting to think that the main shaft and clutch has been replaced with one from another bike?, so far all parts off my 56 AJS clutch fit but rollers are different?

regards from sunny Oz
Kevin
(bring back Warnie)

nkt267

VOC Member
There are BASICALLY 2 types of friction plates for Burman clutches,the type 'normally' found on a Comet have external lugs.AJS type can be external lugs OR as I think the ones from the spares co. have external slots. The basket on my Comet had(I've now fitted a Conways clutch) slots in the basket for the external lug type, AJS type has a solid basket and 'internal splines' to locate with the slots in the friction plates. Do you mean the diameter of the rollers or the length of them. I'll try to post some pics of a mainshaft and clutch soon..John

Last edited:

redbloke1956

Non-VOC Member
There are BASICALLY 2 types of friction plates for Burman clutches,the type 'normally' found on a Comet have external lugs.AJS type can be external lugs OR as I think the ones from the spares co. have external slots. The basket on my Comet had(I've now fitted a Conways clutch) slots in the basket for the external lug type, AJS type has a solid basket and 'internal splines' to locate with the slots in the friction plates. Do you mean the diameter of the rollers or the length of them. I'll try to post some pics of a mainshaft and clutch soon..John

Thanks very much John, I think I am starting to get the hang of it now, I was trying to figure out what was going on with the box in - situ but have since removed it from the bike and am getting most of it sorted, after measuring a number of rollers I have discovered that the sizes varies dramatically in size (dia) therefore obviously knackered, mine clutch also has the external lugs and am thinking about replacing with the Conways type, every post on that clutch is very positive...how is yours? are they expensive?
regards
Kevin