comet clutch

bodlan

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Whilst fitting a new clutch cable I dropped and lost somewhere under floor boards of the shed, part number 331X out of the Burman clutch lifting mechanism. :mad: The hex headed adjusting bush. I purcased another from the spares company but on fitting it I now cannot get the little outer cover, 328X, back on flush. There is a 3mm gap even with the new bush screwed in as far as it will go! Is there a chance that the original 331X was 3mm shorter than the new one or could anything else have moved down by the lever pivot. :confused:
I won't have a chance to take off the cover until next weekend now and I've not had it apart before but from the illustration it looks simple enough. Is there anything I should be looking for especially?

thanks

Dave

clevtrev

VOC Member
Whilst fitting a new clutch cable I dropped and lost somewhere under floor boards of the shed, part number 331X out of the Burman clutch lifting mechanism. :mad: The hex headed adjusting bush. I purcased another from the spares company but on fitting it I now cannot get the little outer cover, 328X, back on flush. There is a 3mm gap even with the new bush screwed in as far as it will go! Is there a chance that the original 331X was 3mm shorter than the new one or could anything else have moved down by the lever pivot. :confused:
I won't have a chance to take off the cover until next weekend now and I've not had it apart before but from the illustration it looks simple enough. Is there anything I should be looking for especially?

thanks

Dave

Is the hexagon of the adjuster sitiing in the hexagon of the cover ?

bodlan

VOC Member
Is the hexagon of the adjuster sitiing in the hexagon of the cover ?

Yes, the hex was fitting properly into the little cover. However, I could not leave it alone last night so I stripped out the clutch plates etc just for fun and to release the clutch rod and give everything a clean. This time I fitted the little plate first and screwed it down tight and fitted the clutch plates etc last. Everything worked fine exept that the cable was as tight as a tight thing. No free play at all even with the adjuster screwed right in. So I stripped 1/2" of the outer away and everything is now fine. So the new cable was different to the old one I guess. Not the fault of the nut at all. :(

nkt267

VOC Member
I have had the same problem before, I have not found any clutch cable to fit first time no matter what supplier I try. John