Comet Clutch plates - PR50-3x and PR50-6x

craig

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I need a new set of friction and plain plates for my 52 Comet with a stock cork Burman clutch pack.
I see new friction plates -

PR50-3X/1 Price: £10.60 (Excluding VAT at 20%) Bonded Clutch Plate (Early)

But there are 3 thickness choices for plain plates and there is no explanation why

PR50-6X Price: £11.38 (Excluding VAT at 20%) Plain Plate (0.036")

PR50-6X/1 Price: £9.49 (Excluding VAT at 20%) Plain Plate (0.062")

PR50-6X/2 Price: £18.02 (Excluding VAT at 20%) Plain Plate, (0.157")

Has anyone ordered new plates from VOC and gotten good explanation that we all can review for choice of of correct thickness ?

nkt267

VOC Member
PR50-6X/2 Price: £18.02 (Excluding VAT at 20%) Plain Plate, (0.157")
This one is most likely to be the 'backing' plain plate fitted first,although the spares list states all plain plates to be identical. I have seen these with the middle thinned down which drops the stack back a little so that the outer plain plate does not lift off the clutch centre.
Also on my brothers Meteor we had to use the thin plain plates otherwise we couldn't get all the friction plates in,a lot of singles have been fitted with 4 plate centres instead of 5 as well.
I think you will need to check on what type of friction plates the VOCS are supplying, the original clutch baskets have slots in them to fit 3X/2 plates. I believe the club ones are of the Matchless type that have a solid basket with internal 'bars' to locate the friction plates so if you have the original type then you may have to change friction plates and basket. John

Ken Tidswell

VOC Member
You can get the friction plates 'refrictioned' by Saftek who advertise in the press. I got some done for £10 each, next day service. Mind you i can walk there if it is't raining or snowing, Ken

Jim Richardson

VOC Member
This is probably a bit of a cheeky reply, so please don't take umbridge, but why not email or phone the spares co or Vin parts and ask.

craig

VOC Member
Yes, i did email the spares co several days ago, in the middle of an order, and heard back that they had updated the Burman clutch plate descriptions.
If you do the math on solid plates (.036", .062", .157"), it makes no sense to me. Maybe others here have some first hand experience?

.062 x 6 = .372"
.062+.036+.036+.036+.036+.157=.363"

.009" diff does not make any sense to me. It only tells me the 5 friction discs of either type (early/late) are all same thickness.
and the later clutch pack uses thin (036) inner plates with a thick base. does this work better?

Cheers
Craig

Last edited:

craig

VOC Member
i found these drawings at dragonfly. i am not sure they sell all this, but the K/S bumper 3338-31 looks promising
who's parts numbers are these? BSA? Burman?
Can someone translate these into G97 Burman apps?

19BA_ks.gif

19ba_sprokets.gif

19BA_gear.gif

19ba_gearoper.gif

19BA_gs.gif

Last edited: