C: Clutch Comet Clutch Lifting Mechanism

bodlan

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
By balls at each end I mean that there is a ball permanently inbedded in the spring plate PR50-18X and a 5/16" ball at the far end of the split rod sitting in a counterbore which the operating plunger pushes against.

Norman, is there a link to the thrust race modification you mention?

timetraveller

VOC Member
Hi Bodlan. I will send you an email with the details if you send an email to enw07@btinternet.com. The spares company normally has them in stock, at a mark up from my price, but that is a quick way to obtain one if I am not available.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Hi Bill, yes funnily enough I was looking at some of them yesterday and I was only talking to the local Comet owner for whom I developed the kit about two hours ago. I think that I only sold one to that local chap so there are several left.

vibrac

VOC Member
Yes a bit naughty of burman to make the basket out of 1/4 plate so you would have to buy their special rollers. I got a batch of 1/4 rollers and ground down a whole batch of them on the toolroom grinder back in the day

Last edited:

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Some people don't get on with the standard clutch, But mine seems fine, Just get the revs down, Same as a Twin before putting in gear, I used Commando sintered plates with hand cut slots, When I raced it, But they needed heavy springs, So in 1987, I went back to standard. Cheers Bill.

pcavallo

VOC Member
Hello to all.
Thanks for all the information you share, I am learning a lot of stuff but questions (and doubts) number grows quicker!
Just a question: I am going to reassemble my Comet's clutch, and I am considering to replace the "one-piece" pushrod with divided push-rods. Is there any place or web site where I can buy them? Thanks

vibrac

VOC Member
Cut your push rod in half and add a roller I would treat the cut ends to a flame and water to harden them.use the search facilities on this forum for details

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I always use rollers, Much better, I have never used heat after cutting, But it might be worth doing ?.
Maybe cut a 1/4" off one end, So you don't run out of adjustment, If too short just add another roller.
Did it many times when I changed to different clutches on my Twin.