comet: clutch calble becomes longer and longer and longer ...

C

charlottevictoria

Dear all,

the clutch cable of my 1954 Comet ist getting longer and longer, so the gap at the hand lever is growing. After having it adjusted, it takes about 100-200 miles after the cable becomes longer again. I am using a mixture of grease and oil inside the gearbox. Does the coupling rod become shorter???? Is there any problem known with the Comet gearbox?

Best regards
Peter

clevtrev

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Dear all,

the clutch cable of my 1954 Comet ist getting longer and longer, so the gap at the hand lever is growing. After having it adjusted, it takes about 100-200 miles after the cable becomes longer again. I am using a mixture of grease and oil inside the gearbox. Does the coupling rod become shorter???? Is there any problem known with the Comet gearbox?

Best regards
Peter
That can happen, but more likely to be the arm.

chankly bore

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
If it is a clutch rod wearing away,it will have to be removed-preferably from the clutch end and then re-hardened or built up with stellite or similar.Don't worry if it ends up a bit shorter-stick a 1/4"x1/4" roller at the kickstart end of the pushrod, just inboard of the clevis pin that the operating arm pushes.If you want to get really silly,shorten the pushrod some more and fit a Briggs and Stratton sidevalve tappet to the clutch plate end to help get you a nice straight lift!While you're in there,make sure the nut holding your clutch centre is damn tight.Cheers, F5AB/2A/7945