Comet Chain Oiler

youngjohn

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Just double-double checking. Can someone confirm that the screw in jet in the oil filler cap adjusts only the flow of oil to rear chain oiler and nothing else. My bike leaves a little puddle of oil from the oiler when it is parked.
Thanks.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello John, Yes you are right, Most of us blank it off and lube the chain other ways. You should join the club and get to know some of the lads, There is a lot of good blokes (UP NORTH). Cheers Bill.

Ken Tidswell

VOC Member
Yorkshire is large county . If john would care to contact me i would be delighted to help. Ken Tidswell York section disorganiser

Pharquarx

Non-VOC Member
Hello John, Yes you are right, Most of us blank it off and lube the chain other ways. You should join the club and get to know some of the lads, There is a lot of good blokes (UP NORTH). Cheers Bill.

More information as to the best way to blank it off and alternate methods of lubricating the chain please. This is the last place on my Comet from whence it has a tendency to mark it's territory.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Charlie, Cut the outlet pipe short and solder it up, Then screw the screw all the way in, And spray the chain with a chain spray as it needs it. Cheers Bill. P.S. Hello Ken, All The Best.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Alternatively, and possibly neater, just remove the whole lot and if you have some old carburettor pieces about you will find that one of the nuts from the base of some of the float bowls will screw onto the male outlet and that will also blank off the offending part.

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Both my Vins were without the chain oiler pipe for some time, and I simply turned the screw in the oil filler to close the opening. Never needed to cap off the fitting at the rear of the UFM. The float bowl nut does come in handy if the auto cutoff valve in the oil supply line doesn't quite close off the flow after you've removed the main oil line when working on the bike and removing the UFM.

Hey Charlie, my Comet it almost back together after having a new piston, cylinder, and muff installed. Should be able to go riding with you soon.

Last edited: