Comet Carb'

chankly bore

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Forget fuel vapourisation, shouldn't be a problem. The "traces of red" may well be old sealant, which should not never nohow need to be used here. You need the float needle to seal and the float at the right height. Condensor problems do show up on a hot machine being restarted because of lower cranking speed and heat soaking into the offending instrument causing a condition known in the trade as D.O.Z.* The manifold should not be damn hot, by the way. Any possibility of a bowed flange on the stub or a leak of air? Cheers, F5AB/2A/7945 since 1970. *(Devoid of Zaps)

cinquecento

Non-VOC Member
reading around the subject and taking on board previous comments the final word seems to be;

'A mag that gets harder to start when hot is probably in need of new windings and/or capacitor so you can stop here if that's your problem'

any recommendations, I'm in the SE.
Thanks

John Smith-Daye

VOC Member
E L Salmon, Burnham on Crouch - 01621 784141 - currently run by Ted's son I believe? Done several mags for me and my friends.

cinquecento

Non-VOC Member
thanks for posts and am following up leads.

Re The Weald Inn, had hoped to but now have to give the Triumph a service and make sure all in good order for camping trip to France. The Comet has been absorbing all free time recently, including totally non productive time waiting for recovery vehicle grrrr!

nkt267

VOC Member
When I bought my 1st Comet I was told that the condenser in the mag may be faulty 'No problem' said the seller 'Providing that you wait a while so that the engine cools down'.
It would start ok when cold.It ran perfectly on the 200 mile ride home,which took 8 hrs.Every time my mate's stopped on his bike which seemed to be every 1/2 hour we had to wait 1/2 hour for mine to cool down.
I ran it like that for 18 months till I found a man to repair the condenser( I knew absolutely nothing about magneto's at the time----I know what comments are coming now;-) ).
Condenser replaced and I could stop and start the Comet whenever I liked..John