E: Engine Comet cams followers and idlers

Chris.R

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi again timing chest cover is now off the Cams of my 1954 Comet are MK1 the followers are worn as is the cam profile, I need to have both stellite coated any ideas how long this will take and where best to go for the work to be done please. My Comet also has aluminium large and small idler, and a fibre ADT wheel would also like to replace these. The project moves on slowly.

vibrac

VOC Member
Over the last years when you could still get cams by Garry stellighted he was not bothering with followers and everyone just bought new. Who does cams now? I dont know, I guess thats get new as well, certainly keep the wheels, its not to hard to fit cams to them.
To be controversial I dont think there was much wrong with alloy idlers so long as they were changed before the rot set in and the oil kept fresh, but in the dark days of the sixties they got a bit over used. My take is that if we had always used steel idlers and some bright spark invented alloyones now, the racers would queue up for them! You would be hard pushed to find a new one now,,,

Chris.R

VOC Member
I believe that Maughans will stellite cams at least I have been told to give them a call. If I use a stellite coated cam set on the Comet I will have to match that with Stellite coated followers to be consistent I am going to give Maughans a call on Monday. The story I have is that Stellite cams will quickly wear out standard followers am I correct. To be truthful the Alloy idlers look pretty good no real slop so might be sensible on the pocket to keep them on the other hand I have been told to get the ATD uprated with the superior Acetal wheel.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I believe that Maughans will stellite cams at least I have been told to give them a call. If I use a stellite coated cam set on the Comet I will have to match that with Stellite coated followers to be consistent I am going to give Maughans a call on Monday. The story I have is that Stellite cams will quickly wear out standard followers am I correct. To be truthful the Alloy idlers look pretty good no real slop so might be sensible on the pocket to keep them on the other hand I have been told to get the ATD uprated with the superior Acetal wheel.
I what respect is Acetal superior?

Chris.R

VOC Member
There are two types as I understand it listed in VOC spares I was told that the one is superior and longer lasting than the other, I give way to a more enlightened understanding please.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
There are two types as I understand it listed in VOC spares I was told that the one is superior and longer lasting than the other, I give way to a more enlightened understanding please.
I don't know if Acetal is superior. I have used a Tufnol fibre gear for 50,000 miles so would it be worth replacing it with an Acetal gear as the prices are not too dissimilar? I have heard that some plastic gears may swell if the wrong grade or type is used.
Someone on the forum may be able to give both of us some more information.

Chris.R

VOC Member
Hi Ed
Maybe another will post a comment for us both:

I can only say that when the timing cover was removed today all the gear train looked in good order on a machine of unknown quantity, what I do know is that the dealer I bought the Comet from had had the mag man refurbish the mag although the ATD looks in good order it is stiff, I will take a photo of it to post in the morning, before it is removed and cleaned in petrol to ease it, it is possible it was overhauled at the same time as the mag, I will also photo the cam and the followers.

davidd

VOC Member
DSCN2959.jpg

This is my preference: all Maughan gears, phenolic ATD and Maughan large idler boss.

Megacycle cams (this one is Mk2) and club followers. Stellite is not necessary. The cams are hard and the followers are 60 rockwell. These engines redline at 7000 rpm, but with the Mk 2 6000 rpm and the Mk 1 would be around 5500 rpm.

David

davidd

VOC Member
I have had two owners contact me who got acetal gears from the Club that were to small. Has that been dealt with?

David