Comet cable lengths - Clutch, Exhaust, Front brake

chankly bore

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Are you using the original 3/8" CEI adjuster into the original gear box inner cover?If so, you need an extra 1/2'' or so of inner free length.Also, an extra split feral ferrule immediately outboard of this makes cable fitment easy,allow another1/4'' for this.Set up the clutch and the actuating arm as per Riders' Handbook and then carefully grind away your outer cable to achieve Nirvana.Make sure your actuating arm is not installed arsy-tarsy the top of same should be visible through the inspection cap.When everything is working do write and share your mensuration.The grinding needs to be done cleverly-Mole Grips help.I pity the Club Spares folk;almost any Burman clutch/gearbox has been re-fettled over the last 50-odd years

craig

VOC Member
Burman cable adapters for Vincent Comet

Thanks Chankly, I am fitting a Conway clutch to 7090. I went to fit the new HB10/1AS cable, waaay too short to even attempt!
Old cable is 1.1" free cable longer than new (3.4 vs 2.3). I am not sure the old cable was correct, nor the old position of the clutch actuating lever under the cap. Hence this thread!
You can cut away housing, you can cut away inner cable, you can add adjusters...i understand all that and it is good to know, but i am after the basic clutch cable dimension for a Comet. When you order a new cable from a vendor HB10/1AS, there is no discussion about levers, split ferrules, threaded adapters, Magura adjustable levers, etc. ..... The vendor supplies a standard Vincent cable with the expectation of Amal/Doherty lever and simple small split ferrule at the Burman (is my guess).

#1, #2, and #3 are all within .050" of affecting any free cable length, so even tho they are different, they dont really affect any real cable dimensions....simply interesting that 3 Comets don't have same adapter

So now i would like to make public, for future Vincent reference, a record of Comet cable dimensions. I also would like the exact routing of each installed cable, but i will wait for another time.
Thanks to all for any help on this.
Craig

Attachments

• theVincentDotComBurmancableAdapters.jpg
    theVincentDotComBurmancableAdapters.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 48

craig

VOC Member
comet cable comparision

I measured 3 Comet clutch cables today for comparision...1 and 2 are used old cables that seemed to work fine, 3 is new cable from supplier that seems way too short to hook up.
Anybody got other data they can share?

Attachments

• theVincentDotComCometcableDataHB10_1AS.jpg
    theVincentDotComCometcableDataHB10_1AS.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 59

craig

VOC Member
Comet exhaust lifter cable end size

I have checked several "new" cables for Comet exhaust lift and find none fit the exhaust lifter! Is this non fit cable a known problem ? Is the Comet cable different from a twin in this respect? Do i hand file the cable end down?

Attachments

• ExhaustLifterBoreComet.jpg
    ExhaustLifterBoreComet.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 44