Comet Burman kick start stop

craig

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have a Comet Burman apart for a general rebuild. The kick start stop peg PR50-202X is loose in its fit and the bore it goes into is wallowed. I even suspect a crack in the mount boss.
I am sure my local weldiong people will fix this, but are there things i should be aware of?
The kick start stop bushing PR50-134X is missing and i cant seem to locate one. Any hints on this bushings? i guess i could make one..steel casement over rubber, but is would rather purchase one that has been designed for this.
cheers
Craig
http://thevincent.com/Comet_G97_Burman.html

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
When I last had the cover off my Burman box I noticed that the kick start stop peg was firm and secure BUT that it was "naked". I selected a suitable size of oil proof rubber hose that was a snug fit over the "pen" then trimmed a short length, taking care that it did not foul the outer cover when it was installed. Vola! I now have a cushioned stop.

Time will tell what sort of working life it will have.

BTW I also adjusted the position of my kickstarter lever so that at the full extent of its travel it is about 15 degrees past bottom dead centre - and thus there is reduced chance of my kick starting swing causing the internal quadrant to make contact with the stop.

Martyn

Jim Richardson

VOC Member
When mine came loose, I seem to remember that I reamed the hole out and made a new stop with a small step and retained it with a screw and washer from behind.

Matty

VOC Member
I have found over the years that the easily obtainable spare rubber bush with a steel outside which pushes onto the stop pin always falls to pieces in a very short time.

All I have done is to find a piece of reinforced "rubber" car water hose with the correct inside diameter and then clamp it onto the pin with a thin (stainless) Jubilee Clip which will hold it and provide the steel outside to stop the bush breaking up - and even then it sometimes gets crushed !!

Matty

Warning - be careful where the screw for the Jubilee clip is positioned it can get in the way of the moving parts of the kickstart mechanism.

craig

VOC Member
How do you translate these part numbers into Vincent Comet Burman G97 numbers?
19BA_ks.gif

Last edited:

clevtrev

VOC Member
And beware of all the vendors trying to sell you a PR50-60X-8. Listed as a 5/16" x 3 1/16" .

It is not, it`s a 21/64" dowel, with a 5/16" thread at each end.