C: Clutch Comet Burman clutch questions

erik

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Yes Greg! The slot should point towards the cable.The adjustment screw on the backside of the box where the cable run through is so long that there should be no problem to find a convenient length for the lever on the handlebar.Erik

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
Originally the Comet gearbox had no adjuster at the cable entry, just a plain slotted abutment, G94/1. Most gearboxes, however do have a 3/8" C.E.I. thread there. Panther gearboxes have an adjuster there because it is easier to get at than the Comet. I sometimes do fit an adjuster, though it is a bugger to reach, but fitting an adjuster in the cable about 15 inches back from the gearbox entry is an easier wheeze for adjustment. The original cables had an adjuster right where it scrapes paint off the top fork link. Not the best plan. I've not noticed a taper in the fork end, but these old eyes aren't what they used to be; they used to be my knees.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I remember Brother Ron , Asking on here in 2015 about the threads where the cable goes in,
I guess it's because the Burman was used on so many bikes.
Cheers Bill.

erik

VOC Member
I have three and a half Burman Gearboxes and they all have the adjuster on the cable entry. A drain plug is on one missing! Erik

revderek

Forum User
VOC Member
Not a reply, but request for related info.
What's the thread on the kickstart end of the mainshaft (post-war)? The nut I have (found in the bottom of the outer box) is totally munted & wasn't, I think, correct anyway.

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Not a reply, but request for related info.
What's the thread on the kickstart end of the mainshaft (post-war)? The nut I have (found in the bottom of the outer box) is totally munted & wasn't, I think, correct anyway.
The nut you refer to holds the mainshaft in the gearbox. If the nut is removed its possible to then simply slide the mainshaft, complete with the clutch, out from the drive end of the box. Also the kick start would not be operational. See attached.

Attachments

• Burman BAP Main Shaft End Float.pdf
    499.1 KB · Views: 36
Last edited by a moderator:

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
Er, mine's bigger'n' yours! 5/8" x 20 t.p.i. .920" hex. as supplied by V.O.C. Spares and as tabled in "Know Thy Beast." Saying that, however the Spares Co. item is poorly machined and too wide endwise. Some original nuts I've seen had the first couple of inboard threads relieved, possibly to better locate the driving ratchet. The possible good news is that your mainshaft, if it is 1/2" diameter here may still serve as long as all other dimensions are kosher, particularly at the clutch end. The clutch end nut is the same thread but a 1.300" hex. A pleasure to note the term "munted", my Kiwi mate uses it all the time. Can you provide the derivation?