C: Clutch Comet Burman clutch questions

A Nut

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I stand to be corrected (I've just come back from the Mid Glos Annual Dinner and am suitably oiled!) There are 2 sizes of thread used on the kickstart end of the mainshaft. Series A boxes and possibly some early C's used a smaller thread (1/2" x 20 tpi) where as later boxes used 5/8" x 20 tpi.
Brian Werrett

revderek

Forum User
VOC Member
Er, mine's bigger'n' yours! 5/8" x 20 t.p.i. .920" hex. as supplied by V.O.C. Spares and as tabled in "Know Thy Beast." Saying that, however the Spares Co. item is poorly machined and too wide endwise. Some original nuts I've seen had the first couple of inboard threads relieved, possibly to better locate the driving ratchet. The possible good news is that your mainshaft, if it is 1/2" diameter here may still serve as long as all other dimensions are kosher, particularly at the clutch end. The clutch end nut is the same thread but a 1.300" hex. A pleasure to note the term "munted", my Kiwi mate uses it all the time. Can you provide the derivation?
Munted came to be used after the Christchurch earthquake to mean, "utterly destroyed." I think it comes from Gaelic meaning, "to urinate," so kind of, "pissed." :)