Comet Burman 175X clutch lever

craig

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I am trying to sort out a Burman clutch in a 1951 Comet. I purchased a Conway Honda clutch kit and installed after much needle filing. I fit a new primary chain. Purchased new cable, unsoldered the funnel end, cut off some cable housing, resolderd the "funnel" fitting.
Now i am at the point of deciding how much clutch rod to have as the stock rod is too long and could be cut to fit the new Honda clutch. I notice the adjuster threads are fully sticking out of 331X nut, so i look at another Comet Burman and the threads are about even with end of nut , i look at friends Burman Comet and same thing, even at end. So i adjust the one i am working on to even end thread and the clutch handle at the handlebar will no longer swing with any travel, as it had been. Flashlight in the Burman shows that the clutch lever 175X has been flipped around and is now too close to the mainshaft! This flip had created a problem for the past worker and i noticed the 331X nut was ground off (on the interior surface) to allow more distance out of the case with this flipped lever assembly!

Question is - Is a flipped clutch lever a common item for a mechanic to consider when servicing a Burman? What does this flipped lever accomplish?
Is this just a mechanic mistake that kinda works (after you grind the nut off)?

thanks for any help
Craig

Attachments

• CluchLeverFlip1.jpg
    CluchLeverFlip1.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 46
  • BurmanClutchParts1.jpg
    BurmanClutchParts1.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

nkt267

VOC Member
When you look at the lever '175X' there should be a raised sort of half round sticking out on the side nearest the forked push rod '330X'. This acts as an extra cam to give more travel to the push rod and often gets ground off during normal use over a long period of time. It could be a previous owner reversed the lever to try to get more movement or just got confused. Don't take too much notice of the amount of thread poking through 331 as I have a few that are different lengths.
When I fitted my Conways clutch I cut the original push rod to fit. I would push the clutch push rod into the mainshaft if I was you and adjust the nut '331X' with 328 (fit retaining screws between adjustments)until the top of the lever is nearly touching the inspection cap aperture, when you put pressure on the pushrod, and then cut the pushrod to size a little at a time until the action of the clutch suits you..John

Last edited:

craig

VOC Member
G97 E 51 Burman stamped 489

When you look at the lever '175X' there should be a raised sort of half round sticking out on the side nearest the forked push rod '330X'.

cut the pushrod to size a little at a time until the action of the clutch suits you..John

Thanks John, I ended up pullin the outer cover, levers intact. 175 was in backwards. Two things noted
1) kick start was wound up 2 turns from unloaded to install

2) kick start stop pin is loose, no bumper (altho i have never seen a bumper in a Comet Burman yet)

now i need help indexing the gearshift quadrant! ?
Craig
What are the little stamped "o" about?

nkt267

VOC Member
Thats your timing mark. Look at the Burman gearbox overhaul file(365kb) I sent you and you will see how the marks align.They do not always align exactly but will usually be less than 1 tooth out.If the box is not timed correctly you will loose a gear either at the top or bottom of the range.I do have 1 gearbox out of the 3 singles I look after that is 1 tooth out but always check all gears operate before finally sealing the gearbox. 2 turns on the spring seems about right, if it's too tight then you won't get full movement of the kickstart lever before it is coil bound.I have never seen a rebound rubber in a B A P box either although i believe they are listed,but it's never been a problem...John

craig

VOC Member
I have the Burman apart, actually the outer cover off to allow flipping the clutch lever back to correct position. Somehow in a prior ownership it got flipped! I have all the manuals, thank you very much to John, and have a cursory education on the subject at this time. My question is about indexing the "o" on the shift quadrant, or to be more precise, indexing the 45BA camshaft.

It appears you reassemble with 45BA positioned at the 9 oclock position so it can be mated with gear sector 161XAS. o to o.
I am gingerly moving , clicking 45BA to this position
Question is - Can i be 360 degrees off, with 45BA positioned at 9 oclock? At this 9 position it feels like 45BA is between detent clicks.

Calling all Burman experts?
thanks
Craig

Last edited: