E: Engine Comet Amal MK1 Concentric

Tony Wilkinson

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I have only recently acquired my 1950 Comet and am generally pleased with it. I have had a number of issues and am slowly through them. The mag was weak and would die when the engine got hot. I have since replaced with electronic coil ignition which seems to work very well.
The bike was fitted with it's original 229 carburettor but despite rebuilding still suffered from flooding and constant leaking. I have recently purchased a used but excellent condition Amal (Burlen) MK1 carburettor 928/L301. It is said to be set up for a Comet and had indeed been fitted to one as it has the correct inlet stub.
It has a 200 main jet and before I install it, I would like some advice please. does this seem correct ?

Tony Wilkinson

Non-VOC Member
I will fit it this week and trial over the weekend. I know this can be a bit of a minefield as lots of differing opinions and by the way what oil should I use .............. Joking.

James B

Forum User
VOC Member
Following with interest. Also have a comet. I believe I have got the 229 working acceptably ( still leaks though ) but of course am currently struggling with the mag instead...

greg brillus

VOC Member
Any side bowl type 276 or 289 carb will drip fuel if the machine is sat on it's side stand, and also if the fuel taps are leaking internally...........Disconnect the fuel pipe connection and leave a small container under the tap overnight and you will find a lot leak internally...........This is the primary cause of leaks from these carby's............No amount of replacement gaskets and sealants will stop it.

Tony Wilkinson

Non-VOC Member
Following with interest. Also have a comet. I believe I have got the 229 working acceptably ( still leaks though ) but of course am currently struggling with the mag instead...
My 229 works OK, petrol taps do not leak (they are new). I gather most of them leak. I am not surprised as 70 years old. I will fit the Concentric at the weekend. Going back to main jet sizes, my 229 also has a 200 main jet so I am going to try that first. On the subject of the mag, I have fitted a Thorspark coil ignition from Sussex motorcycles. The unit fits inside the mag which does not need to be removed. You will have to find a place to fit the coil, I have fitted mine on the engine support next to the battery. You will also need a switch so it can be turned on and off. I made a bracket to fit in existing holes in the rear engine mount for the coil and the switch. This unit uses very little from the battery. I have a gel type battery in a dummy case (like most people I suspect).

James B

Forum User
VOC Member
During high? speed use mine weeps under the float bowl cover and down the outside of the float bowl - presumably due to fuel being vibrated and splashed around inside. Is there supposed to be a gasket here? I don’t see anything on the exploded diagram at burlen

(Apologies for inadvertent thread highjack)