Comet 1951 - rough running

daveinnola

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
not started for 16 years lol i would not worry till you put a couple of tank full,s of unleaded through it , by that time it would be the least of your worrys , but if i was to trouble shoot having not trouble shot a one liter enginge with a amal carb i would say its a shrivelled gasket on the accelerator pump but i cant remember if a amals got one but i would get a new gasket set and floats and carry a co2 can forawhile hot crotch is nice for the first thirty seconds on a cold night :eek:

alscomet

VOC Member
rough running comet

In the search bar type in "comet with unmarked timing pinions" and have a look at the replys I had lots of information before i found my camwheel loose on its shaft, The main point is to find tdc properly, attach a timing disc and DTI and find out how the engine is timed before you remove anything at least this may direct you to the problem before you go too far.It may not be the timing at all and all the simple things need to be right first. alan

daveinnola

Non-VOC Member
i would go back to i bought it and the fellar told me its fine but aint been run in sixteen years plug gap,varnish running through the system plug wire and other wires not holding ohms theres a ton of stuff before i bought a dial indercator and :cool:

daveinnola

Non-VOC Member
half of my message was lost the cheapest tool is run it in the dark , those little blue light,s :eek: that you might see , will eat your lunch they have beat me more than i care to say lol dave