Colour for the lines on a 1954 fuel tank

C

charlottevictoria

Dear all,

I am looking for the exact colour of the goden line on a 1954 fuel tank. Perhaps there is an existing colour of a car? What should I have to do to mix the right colour?

Does anybody konow, how wide the line should be?

Thanks for all informations.
Best regards
Peter

p.s. is there any Vincent driver in the surroundings of Mainz-Bingen?

clevtrev

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Dear all,

I am looking for the exact colour of the goden line on a 1954 fuel tank. Perhaps there is an existing colour of a car? What should I have to do to mix the right colour?

Does anybody konow, how wide the line should be?

Thanks for all informations.
Best regards
Peter

p.s. is there any Vincent driver in the surroundings of Mainz-Bingen?

Gold, and the width depends on how hard the liner (person, not ship) pressed his dagger on that day.

nkt267

VOC Member
Be it gold leaf or gold paint Trev's point is still valid.Gold leaf still needs gold size to make it adhere..John

Somer

VOC Member
I have several original tanks.They have gold paint on them.The gold paint was then "cleared over" just the stripe and the decal(s).
When you use sizing,it gives a different effect and is much more labor intensive.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I thought it was gospel that gold leaf was used?

I have several original tanks.They have gold paint on them.The gold paint was then "cleared over" just the stripe and the decal(s).
When you use sizing,it gives a different effect and is much more labor intensive.

clevtrev

VOC Member
How does one tell Gold paint from Gold leaf, under a clearcoat ?

Somer

VOC Member
Gold leaf will have a wavy effect.Kind of like foil (well it is a foil).
paint goes on even.
I have a paint man who does lots of gold leaf.
I'll see if I can get some pix so people can see the difference.