Coils of confusion

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I am I must admit a bit of a greenhorn with coil ignition in the very early days I cobbled together a couple of lucas points into a twin points set on a BSA distributor body for my twin but I soon realised that batterys 1960 style and racing were not the best of freinds and as soon as I could afford a rebuilt one I went magneto.
However I have collected a few systems during my Vincent aquisition phases and they drifted to the bottom of my piles now howeverI have dug them out and I want to try one out on my next road Egli single and with a modern battery and an Alton I think its the way I shall go.

coilign.jpg
I think I have a Pazon system (center) It says on the black box British single or twin and it has aug 11 under the NZ flag and a rudimentry wiring instruction
white: - red: + black: ing coil #1 y/b w/b:ing triger
but does anyone have a link to an appropriate wiring diagram that they know works for a Vincent Single and will it take normal Lucas 12v coils?

on the right is a coil ignition body with a cap that could be made to fit, two rotors and a pickup with a strong magnet does anyone recognise what it is?I think its for a twin

On the leftI have a screaming eagle coil sounds very HD to me I dont think its destined for my single I may have two plug holes but one is for my decompressor but would it work on a twin? perhaps with the body on the right?

I think I shall use the Pazon but more info on the other items may help me move them on

bmetcalf

VOC Member
This is from Mistral. It might help regarding coil impedance. If you need it, I have a 2.2 ohm twin coil like your Harley one.
RITA.jpeg

b'knighted

VOC Member
I think the kit on the right is also from Mistral being the reluctor and pick-up for a Lucas Rita system.

Jim Richardson

VOC Member
If you have a Rita system, you need to talk to Al Osborne, if you think Goffy can be a bit grumpy wait till you talk to Al, he tests and repairs the Rita system.
( Sorry Goffy). Alternatively talk to Dave Rogers, who will put you back on the straight and narrow points based system, even if your bike came with Electronic ignition.

vibrac

VOC Member
Continuing with the pazon (for the moment) I have opened it up and it looks in good condition with a clock and anti clock timing point but it has two 180 deg 'pickup' coils am I to understand that one on a comet is redundant and will generating an idle spark even though its revolving at 1/2 engine speed or is the actual trigger where the wires are attached and hence for a single? (You see why I said I was a coil ignition greenhorn:oops:) I have also modified a Pazon wiring diagram for a twin is this what I should aim for? the wire colours seem to match.
pazon2.jpg

pazonwire.jpg

I have also discovered two more coil ignition systems and some black boxes but thats perhaps for later I do not wish to muddy the pazon questions:confused:

Attachments

• pazon2.jpg
    pazon2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2

davidd

VOC Member
This is from the manual for my twin plug Comet Pazon:

Pazon for Comet.JPG

As I remember when I ran this ignition, this is what it looked like.

David

vibrac

VOC Member
Following NKT267 lead above it does seem that the PAT2 does for both 180deg twin and single engines
Its also strange that they dont have wiring diagrams as a download they obviously dont care about the second user market
who might be their next new customers. I dont like to just use a diagram from the web without conformation.

Sure Fire Ignition Trigger Single/Twin
Product Code: PAT2

Sure Fire Ignition Trigger assembly for Singles & Twins (6 or 12 Volt electrics, positive or negative ground).

Purchase as replacement or spare part.