Misc: Ignition Coil Ignition

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I put a small bit of plastic tubing over the shaft of the "D" Dist',
To stop too much advance , Of the bob weights,
When I ran 26 degrees with 12 to 1 pistons,
And the "D" has a clamp, So easy for small adjustment.

A Nut

VOC Member
I agree with Normski, If the points are open you will not discharge the battery or cook the coil. For what it is worth, the Series D Victor and presumably the Series D Comet used a Lucas 18D1 distributor not a DKX. I run my Victor replica using an 18D1 disributor and a Lucas sports coil and have a 'red eye' ammeter as per Series D twins. Never the less I have left my ignition on and flattened the battery getting the coil a bit warm but after a quick charge of the battery it started and ran without any apparent harm. I am in the process of converting a Lucas SR magneto to fit the Victor so that I won't have to worry about leaving it switched on!
Brian Werrett

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Brian, Thanks for your input, I remember your Victor very well at the last Annual Rally I attended, it either won best in class or best at Rally, I forget which. My D Comet was also at that Rally, along with Nigel, I believe you have been working your magic on Nigel, when I had custody of Nigel I improved the side stand spring as when I received Nigel the spring was weak and dangerous, especially if you went over a bump, did my modification survive? a small flat piece of metal with a keyhole shape cut into it to extend a stronger but shorter spring.

As my D Comet is a replica it is running a DKX, I guess it was all the guy who converted it could lay his hands on, I am led to believe the DKX is a better distributor, I would guess where the flywheels, and the points settle is very much luck of the drawer, especially if you forget to turn the ignition off, it would seem that I was unlucky, it flattened the battery and took the coil with it.