Misc: Ignition Coil Ignition

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
So here is a question, maybe for for Bill Thomas, I have a Series D Comet (replica) running a Lucas Series D coil ignition system, so Lucas distributor, condenser and coil, working with an electric key switch, I inadvertently left the system switched on for a prolonged period of time, and it left the AGM Westco Battery flat as a pancake, thankfully the battery did come back to life with a charge, but the ignition system is now faulty, I have changed the condenser, but the fault persists, this really only only leaves the coil, is this what you would expect as a consequence of my stupidity?

Robert Watson

VOC Member
My recollection from many years ago when I played with cars, was that if the key is left on and

A) the points are open, the power goes through the coil and can overheat it causing it to fail or

B) the points are closed the power goes to ground and will overheat the points perhaps frying the contacts or weakening the spring.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I don't know much about electrics Peter,
By over heating, It could have upset the switch / wiring / coil / Points,
Have you replaced the Condenser with a good one ?,
Some are not so good ?, Even the base plate can have faults ?.
Tricky one , Cheers Bill.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Check the resistance of the coil. I would expect that it could have been overheated but Robert's suggestion of the points is also worth checking. I have never fried the points but have seen coils spoilt. I can't tell you what resistance to expect as it will depend upon whether it is 6 or 12 volts and whether it is a 'sports' coil or not.

Bill Cannon

VOC Member
In my opinion, coil is most likely the problem.
You need a very good quality meter to check the coil primary resistance.
Good luck.
Bill

tom wilson

VOC Member
Hi when you have fixed the fault, do as I have done on my 'D' run a single wire from the ignition switch to the side light 'on position'. 2 benefits, lights come on as soon as ignition switched on (safer riding with lights always on) and your side lights warn you to turn off the ignition when parked. Also fit LED side lamp bulbs ... less Batt power used and brighter light.

Normski

Non-VOC Member
My recollection from many years ago when I played with cars, was that if the key is left on and

A) the points are open, the power goes through the coil and can overheat it causing it to fail or

B) the points are closed the power goes to ground and will overheat the points perhaps frying the contacts or weakening the spring.
I don’t think A) is correct, with the points open the circuit through the coil is not complete. With B) both coil and points will be under electrical load.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
My ignition is wired to my blue LED running lights and had them since 2003 when I retied and only pulled over once in NZ at Kaikoura South Island, the policeman took photos of it my bike also and my WOF registration stickers didn't hear any more but one certainly gets picked up more quickly by other road users than just lights and hi-viss vests.
bananaman.

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
My ignition is wired to my blue LED running lights and had them since 2003 when I retied and only pulled over once in NZ at Kaikoura South Island, the policeman took photos of it my bike also and my WOF registration stickers didn't hear any more but one certainly gets picked up more quickly by other road users than just lights and hi-viss vests.
bananaman.
WOF?