Coburn Benson 1935-2019

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Almost all the old crusty Vincent owners in the US knew Coburn, who passed away on July 14, 2019. He owned and raced a Grey Flash and and a Series D Shadow (at least one race on the D in Canada). I have submitted an article to MPH noting some of the connections Coburn made in the motorcycle world.

Coburn was not well-known in the UK. I would often stay with Phil and Frida Vincent and regale them with Mr. Benson's racing tales, so he was well-known to them both. Kurt Fischer, who raced the Grey Flash often for Coburn informed me of the death. I passed word on to Carleton Palmer and Kevin Cameron. Carleton circulated the information to many who circulated the information again. Kevin wrote a nice piece seen below:

Click on link:

David

Oldhaven

VOC Member
I'll be attending his Celebration of Life on the Rapide tomorrow. He was at least as well known for his Stanley cars as for motorcycles. It should be interesting to see who all shows up due to his many interests, despite the location in northern Maine.

Ron

Coburn Memorial.PNG

Oldhaven

VOC Member
Here are some pictures from Coburn Benson's Celebration of Life held August 24th. It was a small but meaningful and moving gathering consisting mostly of his friends in the vintage car community and from the places he lived and worked who had benefited from his generosity and mentoring. The location in northern Maine at the Kingfield Stanley Steamer Museum kept Vincent owner attendees to his childhood friend Mike Whitney, Richard Friedman, and Ron Franklin, who rode his Rapide in so Coburn's years long and influential motorcycle career could be represented. RIP

IMG_1447.jpg
IMG_1449.jpg
IMG_1452.jpg
IMG_1392.jpeg

Last edited: