CLUTCH SWAP

Chris Launders

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Many many have fitted multi plate clutches to twins but has anyone fitted a twin clutch to anything else, for instance my atlas clutch is really really heavy and I would appreciate a clutch as nice as the twins.
All right it may awkward but not impossible.
Chris.

highbury731

VOC Member
Many many have fitted multi plate clutches to twins but has anyone fitted a twin clutch to anything else, for instance my atlas clutch is really really heavy and I would appreciate a clutch as nice as the twins.
All right it may awkward but not impossible.
Chris.

If you have a Norton Atlas, the clutch cam profile is designed for maximum lift, not a light lever. Various people have ground down the clutch operating arm for a lighter clutch. Be careful to make it smooth.

nortonpower

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Fit a beltdrive and a Commando clutch. Two fingers will lift a proper set clutch. Use a second tensioner on the primary side. The Atlas cover needs to be spaced outwards by 8mm, I use the o-ring from Mk 11 Commandos together with the original big rubber seal.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
I've had a commando belt drive clutch on it before but stole it for the Norvin I will probably go this route again I just hate the cost although it does solve the leaky chaincase problem at the same time. I didn't have to space out the primary cover ?

Mark Fisher

Non-VOC Member
I've had a commando belt drive clutch on it before but stole it for the Norvin I will probably go this route again I just hate the cost although it does solve the leaky chaincase problem at the same time. I didn't have to space out the primary cover ?
I have V3 clutches on both of my twins and it is a straightforward swap. Apparently (after soaking the plates in oil) they can be run wet or dry but I run mine wet. These clutches have generally been quite reliable, although there are a number of spring combos available and I use different springs in the shadow than the Egli, not sure why though! The only real issue I had was when I got the number of plates wrong in my shadow because I didn't realize there were two versions of this clutch and one is thicker than the other. It can still be difficult to find neutral at lights, which is probably down to lack of lift (inherent in the system) but they operate in a progressive and predictable fashion and are fuss free. However last weekend I helped a friend fit a new clutch from Coventry spares (maughn product?) to his rapide and it runs totally dry. I test drove it and I think it was slightly better than mine in terms of neutral selection but perhaps a bit early to say. All three are light in operation and easy to fit.
mark

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Ah bsaowner you have mistaken what I was asking, what I was wanting to know had anyone fitted a Vincent twin clutch to anything else.
I am quite happy with the clutches on my Vincents (standard on the shadow, belt drive commando on the norvin with a norton gearbox) what I want is a light clutch on my atlas and at about £550 a belt drive commando set up is a bit dear.

Chris.

Vince Farrell

VOC Member
I have V3 clutches on both of my twins and it is a straightforward swap. Apparently (after soaking the plates in oil) they can be run wet or dry but I run mine wet. These clutches have generally been quite reliable, although there are a number of spring combos available and I use different springs in the shadow than the Egli, not sure why though! The only real issue I had was when I got the number of plates wrong in my shadow because I didn't realize there were two versions of this clutch and one is thicker than the other. It can still be difficult to find neutral at lights, which is probably down to lack of lift (inherent in the system) but they operate in a progressive and predictable fashion and are fuss free. However last weekend I helped a friend fit a new clutch from Coventry spares (maughn product?) to his rapide and it runs totally dry. I test drove it and I think it was slightly better than mine in terms of neutral selection but perhaps a bit early to say. All three are light in operation and easy to fit.
mark

The V3 clutch is now available in two versions, wet or dry.

Vince Farrell

Mark Fisher

Non-VOC Member
Ah bsaowner you have mistaken what I was asking, what I was wanting to know had anyone fitted a Vincent twin clutch to anything else.
I am quite happy with the clutches on my Vincents (standard on the shadow, belt drive commando on the norvin with a norton gearbox) what I want is a light clutch on my atlas and at about £550 a belt drive commando set up is a bit dear.

Chris.
OOPS! that will teach me to read the beginning of the thread first! I think that putting a twin clutch on another make is a bit of a non-starter, firstly (assuming you could get it to fit on the mainshaft) you would have to fashion a very fancy chaincase to separate the clutch from the rest of the chaincase as the chain will be in oil or you're back to belts again ! Secondly if you had to go out and buy a Vincent clutch (which would be used)I think it would cost more than the belt conversion which would be new and quite frankly would be a better set-up. Interesting idea though.
mark

vibrac

VOC Member
While we are considering strange combinations has anyone fitted a cut off twin box to a comet? the back of the Comet crankcase is quite flat to start with and I know Ron Kemp bolted a gearbox (Albion) to it when he was reducing his wheel base for his Trials bike (Its on my off road gallery when it becomes viewable)

ossie

VOC Member
While we are considering strange combinations has anyone fitted a cut off twin box to a comet? the back of the Comet crankcase is quite flat to start with and I know Ron Kemp bolted a gearbox (Albion) to it when he was reducing his wheel base for his Trials bike (Its on my off road gallery when it becomes viewable)

Chris.