Clutch Refurb - Standard or V2/3?

Rob H

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Need to refurb the clutch on my bike. What's the current thinking on this.

Should I stay with the standard set up or is the V2/3 multiplates better?

any other alternatives?

seasons greetings to all

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Sounds like you have a standard clutch already. Is it giving trouble? If not, keep it. If it just needs a new plate or shoe linings, bushings or seals, that should be easy to replace. Touch wood, my std clutch does just fine. If I had no std clutch to start with, I'd consider a multi-plate, but otherwise, no.

john998

VOC Member
Hello, I agree with bmetcalf, if you have a standard clutch keep it.They can be troublesome but they are well worth the grief.
Also some folk have trouble from multi-plates, and they tend to over load the lifting mechanism.
John.

A-BCD

Non-VOC Member
It is a Vincent, and the clutch is a part of the machine that is uniquely Vincent !! If you replace it with a multiplate you're left with maybe only 85% of a Vincent !!
Change the carbs, ignition, generator, tyres - they were only bought in items !!

Ducdude

VOC Member
It is a Vincent, and the clutch is a part of the machine that is uniquely Vincent !! If you replace it with a multiplate you're left with maybe only 85% of a Vincent !!
Change the carbs, ignition, generator, tyres - they were only bought in items !!

Keep the stocker clutch they are truly sweet when working...

Good to hear that the updated AMAL MK1's still means my Vin is all Vin...That said I guess I should clear up the facts the motor and UFM are from the same Shadow and the RFM is from a comet so I have 66% Shadow and 33% Comet but 100% Vincent.....:)

I really should find out who has my RFM and who's RFM I have and see if a swap is logical..

Cheers,
Eric

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
The vincent clutch; an answer to a question no one asked. Sorry my jaded view of it after years (1978 to 2011) of patiently trying to get mine to work properly and reliably for a complete season, of asking anyone whose actually worked correctly for their tips and advice, of having the shoes professionally relined and purchasing countless numbers of discs for my Shadow (it ate them like they were candy) I called it a day. I made a multi plate clutch for half the price of purchasing one. Will I try again with the answer to the unasked question, probably but not anytime soon. If your original clutch works that's great stick with it. If you are able too or know someone who can get a dysfunctional clutch to behave, again go for it. I have a hard time believing any firm could have sold a bike for any amount of time with a clutch that would cause such trouble. It must have worked when new, so what has happened in the interim? I suspect a myriad of things contribute to it's bad reputation. Bottom line from me is if it works stick with it, if it doesn't try and fix it. If all attempts fail there is a reason there is the multi plate option, I think now some are beyond redemption.
Good luck
Steven

youngjohn

Non-VOC Member
I have an original clutch which I overhauled earlier this year with new shoes/springs/plungers from Vinparts and it has performed perfectly since. Wasn't cheap, but worth every penny. The clutch is a delight to use.

vibrac

VOC Member
spend a day with a series A clutch on an A twin and you know why they designed the Vincent clutch what else was there in 1945?
I found the best cure for a poor vincent clutch was to buy a multi-plate and put it on the shelf
My Vincent clutch stopped slipping immediately and did 2 IOM laps and 10 more years
I have just changed it don't forget to fit an ET27/2SS

A-BCD

Non-VOC Member
If you're going to dump the clutch because you can't get it to work, why not also dump the motor if it leaks oil and rattles -and hey, those Girdraulics can be a pain and might get into a tank slapper. Some say the brakes are rubbish because they can't set them up properly !! Best buy a Honda in this case !! I like my Vincent clutch, it's needed a bit of TLC now and then over 40 years, the only time it let me down was when a new-fangled bonded pilot plate lost all it's ears - I've put an old one back with a few inserts missing and it's been perfect ever since. And I do have TT carbs, 9:1 pistons and 105 cams and I don't hang about !! Persevere and have a proper Vincent !!