Clutch Refurb - Standard or V2/3?

A-BCD

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
105s are secret Mk IIs - to protect their identity the overlap has been changed !!
My Vincents are anything but proper, but I try to keep all the unique Vincent features in there somewhere !!

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
If you're going to dump the clutch because you can't get it to work, why not also dump the motor if it leaks oil and rattles -and hey, those Girdraulics can be a pain and might get into a tank slapper. Some say the brakes are rubbish because they can't set them up properly !! Best buy a Honda in this case !! I like my Vincent clutch, it's needed a bit of TLC now and then over 40 years, the only time it let me down was when a new-fangled bonded pilot plate lost all it's ears - I've put an old one back with a few inserts missing and it's been perfect ever since. And I do have TT carbs, 9:1 pistons and 105 cams and I don't hang about !! Persevere and have a proper Vincent !!

That's why there are Norvins and Eglis out there. Somebody didn't like the UFM and someone else didn't like the gearbox or the clutch and neither of them liked the forks or brakes. To each their own.

Rob H

VOC Member
If you're going to dump the clutch because you can't get it to work, why not also dump the motor if it leaks oil and rattles -and hey, those Girdraulics can be a pain and might get into a tank slapper. Some say the brakes are rubbish because they can't set them up properly !! Best buy a Honda in this case !! I like my Vincent clutch, it's needed a bit of TLC now and then over 40 years, the only time it let me down was when a new-fangled bonded pilot plate lost all it's ears - I've put an old one back with a few inserts missing and it's been perfect ever since. And I do have TT carbs, 9:1 pistons and 105 cams and I don't hang about !! Persevere and have a proper Vincent !!

I am not dumping the clutch because I can't get it to work, as I said it needs to be refurbished, ie the frinction plate is worn out, the shoes need relining and the metal plates could do with replacing so was asking what the current thinking was. Anyway thanks to all for the response have decided to keep the standard set up.

Rob H

VOC Member
End of Story - replaced the shoes, friction plate, both steel plates and installed one of the new bearing clutch pusher.

The Result - Absolutely Super, Smooth as Silk, What a difference, would not have believed it.

jim burgess

VOC Member
I run two vins, one a Norvin, both use the standard clutch, they are nice and light to use and have let me down once. Now I have said that....
Jim Burgess

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
A good servo clutch is a marvellous thing- a bad one is the instrument of the devil! I have owned + ridden just about every make of post war motorcycle, the vincent clutch beats the s-it out of all of them. Perseverance (or increasing your ablity with things mechanical) will enable you to enjoy what the two Phils intended.

Ken Tidswell

VOC Member
If you look at the cost differential between a multiplate replacement clutch and replacing the worn out servo parts, the Vin comes out ahead, Ken