C: Clutch Clutch Problem

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
But you said you wound the adjuster in so that the outer plate is free, Sorry, I might not be understanding.
If you changed the lot on the shoe carrier, We could be back to what I first said.
If you undo the nut, A small bit, Just for a quick test, With out riding the BIke !!!.
If it works OK, I would rebuild the the new clutch onto the OLD shoe Carrier.

Batman11

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
But you said you wound the adjuster in so that the outer plate is free, Sorry, I might not be understanding.
If you changed the lot on the shoe carrier, We could be back to what I first said.
If you undo the nut, A small bit, Just for a quick test, With out riding the BIke !!!.
If it works OK, I would rebuild the the new clutch onto the OLD shoe Carrier.
Ok I will try your suggestion.Thanks for your input

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I am really surprised that no one has suggested joining the Club, that you are already dipping into, NZ is very well supported, I am sure with a little effort from yourself someone would take a look at it for you, it is so hard to solve mechanical problems from vague descriptions, and purchasing from eBay is no guarantee that all the parts are fit for purpose and well adjusted, I personally favour original clutch parts that have been professionally refurbished than purchasing newly manufactured parts, your original post is difficult to fully understand, you state that you are unable to get the clutch to slip so that you can engage a gear, but the last thing you want is slip, what you want is total disengagement of the clutch to enable full engagement of the gears, that is how all clutches work, really, join the Club and put the feelers out for some friendly help.

Batman11

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I am really surprised that no one has suggested joining the Club, that you are already dipping into, NZ is very well supported, I am sure with a little effort from yourself someone would take a look at it for you, it is so hard to solve mechanical problems from vague descriptions, and purchasing from eBay is no guarantee that all the parts are fit for purpose and well adjusted, I personally favour original clutch parts that have been professionally refurbished than purchasing newly manufactured parts, your original post is difficult to fully understand, you state that you are unable to get the clutch to slip so that you can engage a gear, but the last thing you want is slip, what you want is total disengagement of the clutch to enable full engagement of the gears, that is how all clutches work, really, join the Club and put the feelers out for some friendly help.
Yes that’s what I ment-disengagement to get engagement.Thanks

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
A C19 in a very necessary component, but it will not solve the problems that you have, the C19 shim is available in various thicknesses to get the desired amount of end float to enable the clutch plate carrier to rotate freely when disengaged, in my experience the thickest shim will more that likely lock up the clutch making gear changes impossible.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I am thinking the new shoe carrier is a little shorter than your old one,
Which would give you the same problem I had because the new bushes PD24 and PD22 were too thick.

Attachments

• MO14PD25Question.jpg
    MO14PD25Question.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 9

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Have a look and see if your spring plungers are sitting on the right locations and the arrows are right way round.

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    643.6 KB · Views: 11

Gary Gittleson

VOC Member
The Vincent clutch is a complicated item. It's not clear what is meant here by "a rebuilt clutch". What was included? I suppose one could do the obvious things; slap it on, properly adjust the cable and release mechanism and hope for the best. But just bolting up a "foreign" clutch assembly doesn't seem likely to give good results. I suggest taking a look at http://www.thevincent.com/vinclut.htm
Search the page for "Clutch Thy Beast". All the points such as end float mentioned in this thread are covered there. I followed the entire procedure with great success. The clutch doesn't slip, remains dry and reliably releases.

And yes, join the club!
Gary