C: Clutch Clutch Problem

Batman11

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi . After some advice fitted a rebuilt clutch to my Rapide. All fitted well but I can not get clutch to slip to engage gear when pulling in clutch. Even if I wind adjuster right in so single clutch plate is not even contacting i cannot get rear wheel to spin. My only thought is maybe push rod is to short and not poking out off shaft enough? My Email is Warwick@satco.co.nz

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I replaced the Bushes and Oil Seal in the Big Chain wheel, A while ago, Lucky I had one of my feelings !, And checked for End Float, There was none, Had to Grind down with Wet and Dry paper.
There are other things to check, But one thing at a time. Cheers Bill.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
The shoe carrier boss, Goes inside the big chain wheel, If there is no end float, When you do the big clutch nut up, The one with the spring that acts as a locking device, It will lock the whole thing up,= Not Good !.
You could undo the nut a turn and just try it.
To fix it , The chain case will have to come off, Take the big chain wheel off, And push the shoe carrier inside, Then put a straight edge across the end of it, While holding it in your hand, It needs to spin free.
Good Luck, Bill.

Batman11

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
The shoe carrier boss, Goes inside the big chain wheel, If there is no end float, When you do the big clutch nut up, The one with the spring that acts as a locking device, It will lock the whole thing up,= Not Good !.
You could undo the nut a turn and just try it.
To fix it , The chain case will have to come off, Take the big chain wheel off, And push the shoe carrier inside, Then put a straight edge across the end of it, While holding it in your hand, It needs to spin free.
Good Luck, Bill.
For some reason I have limited access to view diagrams like the one above
You wouldn’t be able to email to me
Warwick@satco.co.nz
Thanks

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Maybe I am getting in too deep !.
Can you tell us what you have fitted and why ?, And was it OK before.
It could be as simple as the end float just behind the big nut, Stopping the shoes from letting go of the drum ?.

Attachments

• Clutch-cpM002diagram.jpg
    Clutch-cpM002diagram.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 17

Batman11

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Maybe I am getting in too deep !.
Can you tell us what you have fitted and why ?, And was it OK before.
It could be as simple as the end float just behind the big nut, Stopping the shoes from letting go of the drum ?.
Ok so old clutch needed refurbish-basically worn
So bought one off ebay uk all refurbished
Fitted up all ok except as explained
Shoes are free to move

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Right, So you have not changed the the shoe carrier, ?.
If the push rod was too short, It would not lift the outer plate ?.
Send us a photo of what you have changed

Batman11

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Right, So you have not changed the the shoe carrier, ?.
If the push rod was too short, It would not lift the outer plate ?.
Send us a photo of what you have changed
Yes but if the push rod was say flush with end of shaft then the adjuster would push against end of shaft?
I have replaced as a complete assembly all in the illustration you sent me