Clutch problem rapide

stumpy lord

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
clutch problems

Hi Ian,
it sounds as if you need some practical help, why not get in contact with your local section, I am sure claire Whiteway could point you at somebody localy with the knowledge to help sort out your problems,you can find the bristol and wessex section address in the may edition of the M.P.H.
As for Suzzuki cluthes, Clever Trevor of hayling Island produces them, all you have to do is supply him with a suzzuki clutch , he will do the rest.
cheers stumpy lord:rolleyes:

John Cone

VOC Member
Ian, the problem I had with the Prince was the clutch wouldn't clear in traffic when hot. The answer I found was to do away with the original segmented plate and machine out the basket and fit a Lightning one piece plate. What a difference.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Vincent Clutches

Do not admit defeat. Human beings should not allow themselves to be defeated by lumps of metal unless fired from guns or used as clubs. I suggest that you arrange a nice comfortable seat alongside your bike and when sitting comfortable take the clutch apart. Study the way in which it is meant to work (zen and the art of cluch mainenance). When you have understood what it should be doing then you will be able to put it back so that it works properly. If you have it working properly and are still not satisfied then get a multiplate item but do not run the V3 dry. It grabs worse than any Vincent clutch. The thing to understand is that the outer single plate clutch is there only to servo the drum clutch. If either is full of oil it will not work. You should be able to move the outer clutch by hand against the centralising springs in the shoes and feel serious resitance in both directions, forwards and over run. You must have clearance between the pushrod and the outer plate or it will never work and you must ensure that the outer plate lifts squarely. If it does not then think about fitting a 'mushroom' type lifter (mini car valve) but this gets rid of the adjustment in the centre of the plate. When testing the movement of the shoes by hand make sure that there is significant force required. The springs in the shoe plungers get old and the plungers get knackered and floppy. Make sure that the plungers move smoothly and that the shoes are a nice fit on their pivots. If the holes in the shoes are worn then they can be bushed but give the job to someone who knows what he is doing (Bob Dunn). Understand it. It is only bits of metal which can be seen and not electrons moving in a cicuit which cannot be seen. When you understand it and make sure that all the parts do what they should do it will work. Whether it works as you would like in modern trafic is up to you to decide.

If the outer plate clutch is flopping about then have you checked that you have the tubes over the hollow rods which take the screws, the correct number of springs and all the cups behind the springs