Clutch problem rapide

Ian Adams

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Help I am having major problems in setting up my clutch on my rapide. I have followed the manual and whatever I do I can’t seem to get the clutch to work correctly. It ether slips or just doesn’t work at all. I have taken it apart so many times and checked everything as per the manual and just cant get the unit to work. Any body out there who can give me some advice on what I am doing wrong?

john998

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Clutch

Dear Ian,
I enter this with great trepidation as the clutch is one of the great Vincent mysteries.
Big Syd is on of the few people that have a grip on it. ( sorry about the pun)
Do you have Forty years on? If so look at page 219. If you assemble the clutch as per the spare parts list it will not work. Beyond that are the plunger centralizing springs free, and make sure that the springs do not become coil bound, over tightening the adjustment caused my 5 years of slipping clutch, and much swearing.
Forty years on and Another ten years are invaluable.
John.

overthehill

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
i cured the many problems with my rapide clutch by a visit to an autojumble and the purchase for £10 of a good condition clutch from a 550 Honda. - a few nights of work on the lathe, some ally welding from a mate and i now have a honda clutch on the vin - the only mod i had to do the the bike was drill a hole through the casing so that the clutch can share the oil from the primary drive. -easily sealable if ever i see the need to go back to original. one tip if you plan to do similar - find out exactly the model/year of the bike the clutch comes from as you will need it if you need to buy new plates.

Ian Adams

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
[FONT=&quot]Thanks for the suggestion but would like to keep it original. However will keep it in mind as it is now driving me made with frustration as it been on and off the bike to many time to mention and still doesn’t work[/FONT][FONT=&quot]! Is there any one in the Bristol area I could take the bike to so they can set it up?[/FONT]

stumpy lord

Non-VOC Member
clutch problems

Hi ,
it is many years now since I delved into the depths of a vincent clutch. I two run a Suzzuki clutch in the twin. However I do remember my friend Colin manning submitting a very comprhensive artical in M.P.H. on how he over came his Vincent clutch problems , it might be help full for you to read it. Sorry I can t remember Which one it was but Iam sure their are blokes out there who can tell which magazine it was , failing that give me a line and when colin gets back from france ,I will give him a ring and find and get the gen for you.
cheers stumpy lord.:confused:

stumpy lord

Non-VOC Member
clutch problems

Hi,
For more information on Vincent clutches, have look at www. the vincent.com
where you will find amongst other things the information on Vincent clutches by big Sid Biberman refered to by John Stainton.
hope this helps.
stumpy lord:rolleyes:

Ian Adams

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Thanks for the info.What mods did you need to put the suzki clutch in? As I am now thinking this may be the best way to go.

Ian Adams

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Thanks already looked at it.Still not getting any clutch.The problem seems to be the outer clutch not having enough pressure on the plate.There seems to be a lot of play there.I have put new springs in but this does not seem to make any difference.Just get that feeling I am missing something obvious.Checked the parts book and everything is there. The nine pins in C14 moves backward and forwards if you pull it is this correct?

VinParts

Non-VOC Member
Clutch.

Ian, put it on ebay and ring me on Thursday when I will be back from the French rally and order one of our multiplate clutches, then you will be able to spend more time riding the bike than working on the clutch :D

Cheers,
Russ