Clutch plate carrier C13 patent?

BigEd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I am reassembling the engine on my '48 Rapide and as I looked at the C13 plate carrier before fitting I saw that the C17 bush does not go right through to the back of the carrier. I have always used it like that but it made me wonder if there was a piece missing. Rummaging in "the shed" I found a spare carrier and that had a bush of the same length so I assume that the bush length is correct. On closer inspection of the spare carrier I saw that it was stamped "PROV PATENT". Was this design patented? I thought that the design already existed and was adapted to overcome the problem of the barely adequate clutch on the "A" twins.
I had a close look at the carrier I had been using. I couldn't see the same stamping but it appears to be a C13/1 for a Lightning that is full of holes or someone has done a lot drilling on a standard C13.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Eddy, with regard to the length of the c17 bush, it is quite possible that someone has fitted a PD22 bush which is the outer bush in the chainwheel. It is basically exactly the same except it is a bit shorter. The correct C17 bush should cover the full distance within the center of the c13 assembly. Cheers..........Greg.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Eddy, with regard to the length of the c17 bush, it is quite possible that someone has fitted a PD22 bush which is the outer bush in the chainwheel. It is basically exactly the same except it is a bit shorter. The correct C17 bush should cover the full distance within the center of the c13 assembly. Cheers..........Greg.
Dear Greg,
Thanks for the heads up on the length of the carrier bush. The bike came as a basket case and I used what was there. I'll get a C17 bush and fit it. The current setup has worked OK for at least 30,000 miles without a problem but it can't hurt to have the correct component fitted.
Anybody any ideas on the "PROV Patent" stamping on the carrier?