Clutch issue

ossie

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
does it have a mag and if so are the atd springs closing back down.
this is a problem I have on mine.
keep it in gear and slow the motor down using the clutch this helps the springs return.
will not work if its fuel problem.
my mag will be coming off in the future for a clean and a service hopefully will loosen up its movement.
OSSIE

kurtflys

Non-VOC Member
After draining the three tablespoons from the case I went for a ride and the clutch seemed fine. I did not do a full throttle check but it accelerated up to 75 mph with no issues two or three times. However the idle is still way to fast once she is warmed up. Here is a picture of the front carb. I don't think this is the original, but it looks like it has been on there for a long time. Should I pull them both off or just try to adjust them first? PS I tried slowing down the idle with the clutch but it just went back up after I release it.
Image.jpg

Last edited:

vincenttwin

VOC Member
Kurt
just to make certain ,you took the dome cover off the clutch and that is where the oil came from , you still need to have oil in the chain side of the case. there is an seal behind the clutch that keeps the oil out of the clutch shoes and plates . is it still a vincent clutch or has some one fitted an newer wet clutch to it.
cheersPeter

kurtflys

Non-VOC Member
View attachment 1967
I tried to do what the operators manual said . Here is a picture of the the side of the bike and the screw I took out is just above the side stand, and below the foot brake.
Kurt

Attachments

• Image 1.jpg
    Image 1.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

b'knighted

VOC Member
Here is a picture of the front carb. I don't think this is the original, but it looks like it has been on there for a long time. Should I pull them both off or just try to adjust them first? PS I tried slowing down the idle with the clutch but it just went back up after I release it.
View attachment 1964

You're right - definitely not original but it is the carb I'd choose. It is an Amal Concentric mk1 which superceded the monoblock. It should be a model 930. Spares are available. The near vertical screw should be the throttle stop. Unscrewing it will allow the slide to drop if the cable is slack enough. If not I'd recommend slightly slackening the cables to set the slide height at tickover, then taking the slack out so they both lift together. Removing the air filters and inserting a slim flat rod under the back of the eack slide will allow you to see the instant of lift on both at the same time. I use the slim ribbed support rail from a suspended file, halved and notched to pass either side of the needle, but I've heard that a foot or so of gas welding rod will also do. Alternatively listen for a single click as they both hit the throttle stops together.

kurtflys

Non-VOC Member
Tell me more Ian about these 930's. Are they easy to adjust? I had a little backfiring after start today.
Kurt

Holger

Forum User
VOC Member
Kurt

I know you are the one asking the questions looking for answers, but... would I be right if I guessed that your Shadow is an original machine through and through that has not been ridden frequently or far since coming into your possession?

Holger

Forum User
VOC Member
Kurt

one thing to remember is that assuming you do not have the choke system fitted, the bike will not idle from cold without a hand on the throttle. Therefore, if it idles from cold and speeds up when warm, you need to adjust the slides. That is the screw that is angled downwards just behind the tickler in the photo you posted.

If the fast idle is not a constant speed but speeds up and slows at random, then it might be fuel delivery - low fuel in the float bowl will cause the engine to run lean an run fast.

One other issue seen with that carby set up is the throttle cable splitter getting sticky from a lack of use and the lubricant drying out. You will need to remove the tank, open the splitter, and spray some WD40 in there to loosen it up.

mercurycrest

VOC Member
Tell me more Ian about these 930's. Are they easy to adjust? I had a little backfiring after start today.
Kurt

Hi Kurt,
They're super easy to adjust, that's why people still use them. Use a #3 Slide and a #180 Main Jet. They're also made as cheap as possible and are famous for the slides sticking. Buy some anodized slides and if they stick, use a brake cylinder hone to clean them up.
Cheers, John