C: Clutch Clutch End Play and other Fun

Gene Nehring

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi,

I have thanks to Robert Watson and Danny smith almost completed the rebuild of my B motor. I am trying to install the clutch and have hit a snag. The end float does not seem to be apparent even with the C19 shim under the head of the C20 nut. This motor came from a pile of parts from the late John McDougall, so I am not sure if the carrier and nut are right for each other.

I am attaching photos and if someone could possibly identify if the c20 is a "D C20" it would be helpful. Are the two C20 versions the same length? I also thought the seal carrier might be too wide. Any thoughts comments or silly over looked things that I might be missing?

Thanks in advance.
20200915_155723.jpg
20200915_155744.jpg
20200915_155723.jpg
20200915_155806.jpg
20200915_155844.jpg
20200915_155858.jpg
20200915_155913.jpg

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
If the Chain wheel is locking up, Some times the new chain wheel bushes are too long ,

Last edited:

stu spalding

VOC Member
I don't have the bits in bits at present and it may be my imagination but is PD21 clutch sprocket spacer standing a bit proud? Cheers, Stu.

Cyborg

VOC Member
Do the PD21 and PD2 have the same internal and external dimensions..... just different widths? Haven’t had my first cup of coffee yet, so possible that’s a dumb question.

timetraveller

VOC Member
I don't have the internal diameters to hand but one could never confuse the two items. The one photographed above has a much larger radial thickness, and is the correct one for where it is being used, while the one which goes in the engine sprocket has a much smaller radial thickness.

Gene Nehring

VOC Member
I don't have the internal diameters to hand but one could never confuse the two items. The one photographed above has a much larger radial thickness, and is the correct one for where it is being used, while the one which goes in the engine sprocket has a much smaller radial thickness.

Hi Time Traveler,

I have pulled the existing PD21 that was prucahsed from John Healy it is .326 wide. I believe John gets them from the VOC.

What width should they be?

Gene Nehring

VOC Member
Do the PD21 and PD2 have the same internal and external dimensions..... just different widths? Haven’t had my first cup of coffee yet, so possible that’s a dumb question.
Hi Ken,

I hope Pender has treated you well over the summer. The PD2 is much bigger I believe based on the drawings. I think I may have solved the first part of the puzzle. I looked in my junk tins and found two P21's that were .255-.280 is size compared to the .326-.328 that was installed.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
When you put the PD21 in there put a 1/16 in section o ring in the small radius where the bearing meets the shaft. The PD21 will squish it in there and stop any oil sneaking between the shaft and the bearing and inevitably finding its way to the clutch!

Sorry to not have replied sooner but life has been too busy. looks like you are on the right track tho'