Clutch Drum Play

youngjohn

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
There's a small amount of play on my clutch drum. When you rock it the primary chain wheel has about 0.5mm sideways movement at the chain when viewed through the dynamo cover ET63. Is this within tolerance, or should it be looked at? There's no play on the mainshaft so I'm guessing that it would be the PD22 bush which is responsible.
Thanks.

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
it could be the C20 clutch retaining nut loose but this should not happen if the C45 lock spring is in correctly pd22 dont wear that a mount.

youngjohn

Non-VOC Member
Thanks, but C20 is tight - the play is in the drum/sprocket assembly. 0.5mm at the rim probably equates to about 5 thou at the bush.

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
Unless you have a problem with grabbing on take-up or a rattle which quietens when pulling-in I would reckon to leave well alone. Mine has been like this for years.

vibrac

VOC Member
Unless you have a problem with grabbing on take-up or a rattle which quietens when pulling-in I would reckon to leave well alone. Mine has been like this for years.
Leave well alone!
how many Vincent owners ever do that!
Never has any group of people praised a designer more and tried to alter his design more often

Black Flash

VOC Member
Hello Vibrac,
i fully agree about the brilliant design and why people have the urge to change it.

Well isn't that most of the fun about owing a Vincent? there are riders (like Jack Barker who has seen the world on his Vincent) and there are people like me who do not have the time (me) and the money ( me as well) to do extensive travelling. Still I love my bike and I love to modify it, maybe simply because I hardly have the time to use it and believe me, it can be very extolling if there is no oil dripping out of your valvelifter cable entry.

Bernd