Clear coating for cylinder and head

Bob P

Active Forum User
VOC Member
I am Restoring a comet and have, after much effort nice and clean crankcases, cylinder and head. Is there a finish to keep them in this condition and looking original?

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I am Restoring a comet and have, after much effort nice and clean crankcases, cylinder and head. Is there a finish to keep them in this condition and looking original?
If you coat the engine it won't be "original". There is no reason that it should leak (much) if you assemble with care using modern sealants & those wonderful oil tight washers sold by Neal Videan... Took me years to learn all this.:rolleyes:

Tnecniv Edipar

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member

If your talking about corrosion ?
Don't ride it in winter or the wet. Keep in a dehumidified garage.

Any clear coating I've ever tried does not work. Eventually , small wounds are inflicted by stones and road debris , then moisture will wick underneath and corrosion will commence worse than if uncoated.

There is a semi drying spray that can be applied to engine casings that will prevent corrosion , I think it was developed for Navy jet fighters on carriers at sea , but it needs to be cleaned off and reapplied at intervals.