Misc: Everything Else Cleaning upper frame member

Dynamiteboss

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Any hints on how to best clean the sludge out of the upper frame member while still attached to the front forks?

Best regards,

Richard Gibson
Rockford, IL, USA

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I would not recommend it, there is just to much risk of potentially dislodging debris that has built up over 70 years, but not actually getting all that debris out of the tank, then there is a good chance that some of that debris will find its way into the lubrication system and wreck your engine, it is simply not worth the risk, plus removing the forks is not a particularly difficult job.

timetraveller

VOC Member
This was all discussed a week or two ago and I posted the design of an inspection/cleaning hole for the top of the oil tank. You will not do this properly unless you remove the UFM from the rest of the bike so that you can shake it about to clean it and even then you will probably need to make, or buy, an inspection hole modification.

Dynamiteboss

Active Forum User
VOC Member
I would not recommend it, there is just to much risk of potentially dislodging debris that has built up over 70 years, but not actually getting all that debris out of the tank, then there is a good chance that some of that debris will find its way into the lubrication system and wreck your engine, it is simply not worth the risk, plus removing the forks is not a particularly difficult job.
Thank you Peter,
I have already started “fiddling” with cleaning it, so I need to proceed. I have soaked the UFM with kerosene for a week, agitated the kerosene using a long spring, and drained the resultant crud. I have done this several times, and plan to do it several more. My feelings (hopes?) are that the screen in the tank (currently removed) will keep any big pieces of crud from getting into circulation, with the oil filter then doing its job before the oil is sent on to bearings etc. I inspect the crud after draining, and to date haven’t found any grit or large metal particles. This is an old unrestored bike, last operated in the late 1980’s, that I am trying to coax back to life for occasional weekend use.
623586F7-37A8-4A4D-BA34-89B23AED9B3F.jpeg

Dynamiteboss

Active Forum User
VOC Member
This was all discussed a week or two ago and I posted the design of an inspection/cleaning hole for the top of the oil tank. You will not do this properly unless you remove the UFM from the rest of the bike so that you can shake it about to clean it and even then you will probably need to make, or buy, an inspection hole modification.
Thank you Timetraveler,
I looked up your posts. (Didn’t know I could that.) I‘m new to the Vincent world and newer yet to VOC forms. Very nice work on the inspection hole. Put my name on the list if you are having a batch made up.

Best regards,
Richard Gibson

Last edited by a moderator:

timetraveller

VOC Member
Thank you Richard. One chap has already made his own from my drawings and I have asked him if he is prepared to make any more. I could get them made but I would probably have to get ten made as they would be CNCd. You, plus one chap in the USA means that two would be sold. Let us see if anyone else is interested.

Dynamiteboss

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Thank you Richard. One chap has already made his own from my drawings and I have asked him if he is prepared to make any more. I could get them made but I would probably have to get ten made as they would be CNCd. You, plus one chap in the USA means that two would be sold. Let us see if anyone else is interested.
I am in no hurry. I would buy it for future use, for when I have time to properly dissemble the bike.

timetraveller

VOC Member
For those who would like an inspection/cleaning port then please contact Mark on chark_mandler@yahoo.co.uk He has just made one of his own and two spares so he is the man who will make them for you. One thing to note is that Mark has chosen to fit two holes in the top of the screw in plug, rather than the slot to take the K1. It is intended that using two dowels in the holes might allow one to apply more force if some time in the distant future the plug has to be removed. I still like the K1 slot but each to his own. Please contact Mark direct.