Misc: Everything Else Cleaning upper frame member

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I think you would have to be very carful with that gadget. It will not get in all the corners and it might damage the tube which goes to the rear chain oiler and is sometimes right at the top of the oil tank and at others times right at the bottom. Just saying!

craig

VOC Member
open top view

OpenOilTank2.JPG

timetraveller

VOC Member
The place which is really difficult to get at unless, one does as you have, is right at the back and bottom of the tank where there is a sort of sump where the outlet connectors are. Main oil feed out and chain oiler out.

Dynamiteboss

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Thank you for the diagram. It answers some questions I had about the gauze filter shroud.

Can the lower banjo fitting on the oil feed line be modified to improve oil flow? I have heard that the holes in the fitting can be opened up, but I don’t know by how much.

Richard Gibson

Black Flash

VOC Member
I have cleaned my ufm strapping it to a cement mixer, filled with diesel an a handful of nuts and bolts. It's been cleaned out 4 times and rumbled on for the best part of 8 hours in total changing the tilt many times.
I believe I rinsed it at least 5 times but never achieved a perfectly clean state as I could still scrape some crud of the metal with a long screwdriver.
Fitted a manhole cover, filled it with wheel cleaner stuff at a local car wash to the brim. Let it work for 15 minutes and then in with the hot jet washer for a total of maybe 3 minutes.
You could now eat out of it.

Cheers Bernd

Ken Tidswell

VOC Member
Any hints on how to best clean the sludge out of the upper frame member while still attached to the front forks?

Best regards,

Richard Gibson
Rockford, IL, USA
If you insist on cleaning the tank out, Life then becomes far more easier if you detach the tank fom the front end by removing the 6? bolds holding it to tht front of the bike.take out the two connectors at the rear of the tank. you can use lots of degreaser to soften the junk in the oil tank,and a pressure washer and keep going untill you are satisfied it is clean. Dry out the tank using heat and refit the chain oiler and the mail feed with new washers. It is a filthy job and you can make a lot of mess every where. I speak from experience. then refit it to the head stock.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Re #15 above. The restriction in the oil flow can be caused by the cut off valve which is fitted into the oil feed in order to allow the pipe to be removed from the tank without draining the oil. You can just remove that valve and then you have the whole inner diameter of the connectors and tubes to allow oil to flow. When you have it all apart it is worth while checking that when the oil pipe is inserted into the tank fitting that the valve is pushed fully up and that the holes in the valve are fully open. The thing to think about is that the lower end of the main feed pipe interfaces to a banjo bolt which has four rather small holes and their total area is likely to be less than the internal area of the pipe.

Dynamiteboss

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Re #15 above. The restriction in the oil flow can be caused by the cut off valve which is fitted into the oil feed in order to allow the pipe to be removed from the tank without draining the oil. You can just remove that valve and then you have the whole inner diameter of the connectors and tubes to allow oil to flow. When you have it all apart it is worth while checking that when the oil pipe is inserted into the tank fitting that the valve is pushed fully up and that the holes in the valve are fully open. The thing to think about is that the lower end of the main feed pipe interfaces to a banjo bolt which has four rather small holes and their total area is likely to be less than the internal area of the pipe.
Yes, the banjo bolt at the lower end of the main oil feed line, I have heard of people drilling the holes bigger, but how much bigger?

And good point about simply removing the needle in the valve at the upper end of the feed line. I don’t see much point in the valve. Simply drain the oil if I need to work in that area.

robin

VOC Member
May I suggest that you combine removing the oil tank from the steering head and cutting the hole for the manhole mod. Do the cleaning operation before fitting the manhole ring. The sludge trap then will be clearly visible..